Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desk top mail not responding

My mail system on my desktop has stopped working all I get is the spinning wheel nothing works at all. I then have to force quit mail and see the message Mail not responding. I have tried opening mail from the application folder but get the same result. Mail within Mobileme works perfectly. The only thing I can think I have done recently was to update mobileme calendar since then Mail has stopped working. Any suggestions appreciated thanks. I am using OSX 10.4.11 on the Powerbook.

Mike

Posted on May 24, 2011 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2011 10:06 AM

Hmmm, as I understand it, some of the new Calendar functions don't even work in 10.5.8!?

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2011 10:06 AM in response to Mike Beer

Hmmm, as I understand it, some of the new Calendar functions don't even work in 10.5.8!?

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

Desk top mail not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.