Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I configure port forwarding on Airport Extreme via Win 7/64?

Hello all,

I'm trying to forward some ports in order to correct issues with setting up servers for video games, i.e. I can connect but another can't while yet another can connect fine, etc. So far, despite thorough Google searching, I have not been able to find a solution that matches my exact problem.

The specific ports I want to forward are 7777 and 25565. Currently, my connection is through Northstate Communications using an ADSL modem/router (Zhone Model No. 6218-I2-200-0NS) hooked up to an Airport Express + Time Capsule (Model No. A1254, version 7.5.2). As far as I know, the only reason the Airport Extreme is there is for the time capsule, but I don't know for sure whether my computer is actually connecting to the internet through one or through the other. I didn't set it up originally, unfortunately.

I currently can't edit the settings for the Zhone. Supposedly, typing 192.0.0.1 into the address bar of my web browser should open the router configuration utility, but instead it returns "Oops! Google Chrome could not find <address>." I can, however, use the AirPort Utility for Windows to edit all of the AirPort's settings. I have followed the instructions in this YouTube video to forward the port 7777 using the AirPort Utility: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFad6NvddRk but changes I make to Advanced/Port Mapping apparently do not work because www.whatsmyip.org and www.canyouseeme.org report that a test of port 7777 is either timing out or unavailable, respectively.

I am concerned that the IP address automatically provided for me when I create a new port mapping is not the correct IP address since it is 10.x.x.x, which I can't find anywhere in any settings on the computer or online. But, when I type in the IP address I get from www.whatsmyip.org (97.x.x.x) and then go back to edit the setting I created, it has apparently reverted to 10.x.x.x without saving the address I entered.

So, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to change some settings in the Zhone router before it will work, and if so, how can I access it? What is the 10.x.x.x address that the AirPort Utility assigns to new port mappings by default? Since I intend to use Hamachi to host the game server, do I need to use the IP address given to me by that program (5.x.x.x) instead? As far as I can determine, all my drivers are up to date. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Other system specs given below:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.00 GHz

MB: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD

RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (PC3 10666)

GPU: Sapphire 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Wireless: AZiO AWD102N PCI Wireless Adapter

-R

Posted on May 24, 2011 8:48 AM

8 replies

May 24, 2011 9:40 PM in response to Rekishika

In your current network configuration, you basically have two routers in series. As such the AirPort Extreme should be reconfigured as a bridge.

ref: AirPort Utility > Select the Extreme > Manual Setup > Internet > Internet Connection > Connection Sharing = Off (Bridge Mode)

Once the Extreme has been reconfigured as a bridge, you should be able to access the Zhone router to setup port mapping.

May 25, 2011 8:32 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your response. I attempted to do that, but I couldn't find any way to access the configuration for the Zhone router. Typing the IP address into my web browser's address bar only resulted in "page could not be found" or "page timed out", etc. I called tech support at Northstate, who likewise suggested that the Zhone router should be set to bridge mode and the AEBS set to router mode since it would be easier for me to configure the AirPort. After wrangling a bit with them over my inability to change any settings for the Zhone, they sent a technician over. He messed around with the Zhone, apparently putting it in bridge mode, and we managed to get the AirPort to work without any double NAT errors. I reset the AirPort and created a new configuration file. Unfortunately, when I went to the Advanced/Port Mapping menu and repeated the original steps to forward port 7777, tests at www.whatsmyip.org still returned "timed out". The technician said he wasn't knowledgable enough about Apple products to assist me any further and suggested I call their tech support or visit the nearest Genius Bar. So that's about it. Any other ideas?

May 25, 2011 9:01 AM in response to Rekishika

Yes, that looks like a viable Public IP address ... and this is the address that whatsmyip should show as well. If you are getting timeouts, then there is still something that is blocking that address from being seen from that website ... and the only thing in between would either be your ISP blocking certain ports or the Zhone gateway.

May 25, 2011 9:50 AM in response to Tesserax

Well, all the evidence I've been able to gather so far suggests that the ISP isn't blocking any ports, so I guess it's just the Zhone. But that still doesn't answer the question of why port 7777 changes from "closed" to "timed out" when I turn on the port mapping rule in AirPort Utility, nor the question of why I couldn't enter the configuration utility of the Zhone to begin with. I suppose I'll either have to call Northstate again or call Apple tech support. Thanks anyway.

How do I configure port forwarding on Airport Extreme via Win 7/64?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.