Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden Death of two Airport Express Base Stations in Vienna/Austria?!?!

Hi!

The Airport Express Base Sation of a friend of mine and my own Base Station suddenly don't work. Both stations do nothing - no signal, no lighting, no internet, no music,...
They are completely dead...

The stations are not old, my own is 1 year and 2 month - but Apple won't repair or change the station anymore. The Apple Hotline told me, that I can throw my station in the garbage.
I talked with the APple Hotline two times and also with Apple Austria, but nobody is able to help me.
I can't understand, why Apple doesn't show a "gesture of goodwill" and give me a new station at a lower price.
I'm very, very, very disappointed about the support and service of Apple and also about the quality of Apple products.

Have anybody of you heard about sudden death of Airport Express Base Stations before? How can this happen?
Does anybody of you have an idea how I can get help by Apple?

Thank you very much,

FLO

PC Windows XP Pro Airport Express Base Station

Posted on Jan 10, 2006 5:00 AM

20 replies

Jan 10, 2006 8:30 AM in response to docflo

At hardmac.com is a report about "our" problem.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-01-10/#top
(at this link you'll also find a foto of the opened airport express base station and the fuse...)

FLO

Airport Express Base Station problems (cont.) - Lionel - 09:19:08

Since our news we published yesterday on dying Airport Express Base Stations (AE), we have received numerous reports from around the world which describe similar problems.
Basically, the AE suddenly stops working and won't turn on anymore.
A quick review of the serial numbers of defective AE showed no clue whatsoever.
Une première étude des numéros de séries ne nous permet pas d'y trouver un quelconque signe de série défectueuse.
If the problem does happen during the standard Applecare period, it seems it is more common on the 13th month...
One of our readers (Dieru), managed to resurrect his AE by opening it and replacing the fuse. Here is a picture of the culprit:

This is a 500mA 250V fuse, located under the adhesive tape (which can be yellow or blue). If you try and replace it, be careful to use a fuse with similar characteristics and when you turn the AE back on, do it from a distance to avoid any electrical shock risk.
Do notice that some other readers replaced the fuse without managing to make the AE work again. And one even managed to get it to work on batteries 🙂
Everything points to faulty power supplies [this becoming a trademark for Apple.]
Will we have to wait for a class action for Apple to start an extended repair program?

[translation by moose]

Jan 12, 2006 8:01 AM in response to docflo

Add one more dead AirPort Express to the list. Mine was bought in August 2004. The area around the power connector smells of burned rubber a bit, so I assume this is the fuse problem everybody else is experiencing...

Such a cool product, but obviously fundamentally flawed. Any info would be appreciated...

Edited by an Apple Discussions Host

Jan 12, 2006 11:09 AM in response to Martin Crawley1

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

This van't be true.

There are soooooooooooo many of dead Airport express base stations - and nobody does anything.
Isn't it possible to start a complaint against Apple??
I mean, we should try everything to ge new or repaired Airport Express base stations. This is Apples' fault!!!!

I think I'll start to contact some media in Austria - for example some TV stations' high tech magazines and the press. If there are some bad news about Apple, they will show a reaction. I'm sure about it.

FLO

And I'll call again the chief of Apple Austria

Jan 12, 2006 5:27 PM in response to docflo

... and my AE also got toasted this morning. When I was trying to connect with my PowerBook, I got no signal. Checked my AE; no light at all. Unplugged and re-plugged it back without success.

It was only on its 8 month old since I bought it at AppleCenter, SG on May 2005, with infriquent uses after then. The only changes I made in these last two days which (might be/not ) related to the death of my AE is its Firmware 6.3 update and Mac OS X 10.4.4 update ( using combo updater )...

Now it's R.I.P, and its tombstone will be engraved ...
" Here lies my sexy little gadget. Proudly built by Apple -- badly killed by its lack of QC"

G4 Dual MDD - PB G4 Ti. - Pismo G3 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Feb 9, 2006 8:32 AM in response to docflo

Well, docflo, good for you. I just got off the phone with AppleCare (in the U.S.) and they confirmed that no, they do not replace these defective units out of warranty, and no, there are no repair options, essentially making these dead base stations into cute white pieces of garbage.

Are there any users reading this who have made an attempt at a DIY repair? I'd be interested in knowing what parts need to be replaced...

Feb 18, 2006 4:44 AM in response to docflo

Hey docflo,

Can you tell what exactly you have done to get you AirPort Express replaced?

I just called the Apple Technical Support in Germany and they told me, that I would be the first customer ever to report such a malfunction - and that in Germany/Austria/Swiss!

I think somebody is lying here - and I don't think that's us!!!

But well, if they want to here us: lets call them and complain!!!

FLO, who did you call and who do you sent the letters to?
Maybe you can make your letter available for us too?

Thanks and Regards
…Dimi

iMac 2 GHz 20" Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Feb 20, 2006 3:30 AM in response to d.o.c. dimi

Hi!

I calles the Apple Hotline 3 times in a time period of about 1 months.
Everytime they told me the same - that this device can't be repaired or replaced.
They recorded my calls, because when I called the second and third time, they knew that I called one or two times before.
When I called the last time, they told that they can forward my problem to a supervisor or something like that - but they don't think that they would help me.

To the APple chief of Austria I sent a letter by snail mail and I simple reported my problems and told him that this small problem can be a big problem for apple soon, because if something like this starts doing its rounds in the media it can be like an avalanche, and the image damaga for Apple could be big.

I didn't get any answer from Apple Austria, for that reason I wrote an email to them, and almost in the same moment I was called by the Apple Support team +35... (I think Ireland). So I really don't know why I got a new Apple station, perhaps because of my calls to the apple hotline, perhaps because of my letter to Apple Austria....

Alltogether I think that this problem becomes a real problem for APple - just search this forum and you'll find many, many APX owners with the same problem....

flo

Feb 22, 2006 5:01 AM in response to docflo

My Airport Extreme has just gone dead. I'm pretty sure that I heard a 'pop' noise. A blue / yellow tape was mentioned. Where is it? Is it the thin label on one side of the unit that has the serial number etc on it?

It really is ridiculous that we're expected to throw away £90 units after a year and just buy a new one. I have already had to buy a number of replacement power supplies for my, and my children's i Books / Powerbook. Then there's the iPods.... but at least they can be opened up.

Like of serviceability / repairability on items that are rendered useless by minor faults, must be a major issue. Apart from the matter of decent customer care, surely Apple must have an envornmenmental policy that relates to all this waste?

Sudden Death of two Airport Express Base Stations in Vienna/Austria?!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.