Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What fcp export settings to use for bluray DVD

I am editing a huge wedding and have to put chapters and full wedding onto a bluray dvd. What export settings could I use to compress videos a bit so they fit on a bluray without losing a lot of quality?

imac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on May 24, 2011 11:54 AM

7 replies

May 24, 2011 12:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes. I want it to play in a Bluray player. I was planning on exporting through quicktime conversion and then bringing those files into Toast. I just need to figure out the right export setting for quicktime conversion. I would just export regularly from quicktime as uncompressed files but there is too much footage so I need to compress without losing too much quality.

May 24, 2011 1:07 PM in response to skyrondenet

You have to export to QuickTime Movie, not QuickTime Conversion. You don't want to force any recompression on the video; it will only cause problemsin Toast.

If you want to save time & disk space, UNcheck the option called 'Make movie self-contained' when you export to QT Movie. As long as your Blu-ray authoring tool (eg Toast) is on the same Mac as FCE, you can use the QT reference movie produced this way as input to your Blu-ray authoring app, same as you would a self-contained QT movie.

It is important, however, that you make sure to do Sequence > Render All > Both and Sequence > Render Only > Mixdown before exporting your video from FCE.

May 24, 2011 7:15 PM in response to skyrondenet

Skyrodenet,

You didn't say how you are creating the Bluray disk. If you have an actual Blu-ray burner burning to an actual Blu-ray disk you have all kinds of room for your movie. Because you mention using Toast I suspect you are not using a Blu-ray burner and a Blu-ray disk. If you are creating a Blu-ray movie on a standard DVD using Toast you are constrained by play time to about 20 mins maybe a little more on a std DVD and double that on a double layer DVD. No amount of compression will get around that.

May 25, 2011 11:41 AM in response to skyrondenet

The size of the exported file is not relevant only the length of the movie. You can export a heavily compressed web size movie or fully uncompressed HD that would be terabytes in size. It doesn't matter. Only the length of the media that has to fit onto the disc. Toast is going to compress it to the correct format and data rate to fit on the Blu-ray disc.

What fcp export settings to use for bluray DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.