Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor view looks stretched

Over the weekend, I ventured into the world of Mac ownership with a new macbook pro. At my office, I've connected it to a 23" external monitor just to make it easier on my eyes. When I first set it up last night, the view on the external monitor looked stretched or a like blown up version of what's on my computer screen. (FTR, I have mirror display turned on because I'm keeping the macbook on a shelf under my desk and just want to work from the one screen.) I messed with the resolution size of the external monitor but that didn't fix the problem.

Today, when I came in and hooked everything up, the screen looked like how I originally expected it to look - not stretched or any of that junk. Just very crisp and clean - exactly the way I wanted it. Then a bit ago, I tried to mess with clamshell mode and for some reason, that made the external monitor go back to being stretched. I've tried restarting several times and unplugging the DVI->mini display port converter but it's not fixing it.

I have no idea what I did right this morning, but can anyone help me? It's a stupid problem, for sure but it's annoying staring at this stretched screen.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 24, 2011 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2011 2:40 PM

Try this instead, hit CMD F1 to place the monitor in extended desktop mode, It should look good again.

Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tab > notice the grey "menubar" at the top of the left display. Move it to your other monitor display. This will control which monitor has the dock and menubar. If the external monitor is not available, it moves back to the MBpro.

Regards,

Captfred

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2011 2:40 PM in response to morunnergirl

Try this instead, hit CMD F1 to place the monitor in extended desktop mode, It should look good again.

Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement tab > notice the grey "menubar" at the top of the left display. Move it to your other monitor display. This will control which monitor has the dock and menubar. If the external monitor is not available, it moves back to the MBpro.

Regards,

Captfred

External monitor view looks stretched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.