Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Question

Hi

Can someone please explain this calibration method, in simple terms, After leaving for 2 hours in the green fully charged, when you unplug it do you have to leave it on till it turns itself off in one hit, overnight, or can you turn it off and just use it till it dies without charging it the next day when it runs down to 0%?

Spoke to someone in one of the Apple stores and he said just do whatever, turn it off, use it up etc.... and he also said don't let it run down to turn itself off because it harms the MBP, but to be honest, you lot are more clued up than he was.

And can someone please explain what this means that I found on here...?

DO use your battery frequently and lightly, ideally completing 1-2 charge cycles per week (minimum one charge cycle per month).

Does that mean you can only fully charge it twice a week? For my business use it will need charging every day....

What does one charge cycle a month mean? I charge every day, and when battery runs low plug in to full, what's wrong about that? Is there something I'm just not getting here.

Help appreciated

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 24, 2011 2:12 PM

7 replies

May 24, 2011 3:23 PM in response to the tall

Can someone please explain this calibration method, in simple terms, After leaving for 2 hours in the green fully charged, when you unplug it do you have to leave it on till it turns itself off in one hit, overnight, or can you turn it off and just use it till it dies without charging it the next day when it runs down to 0%?

When it has reached the green light, let it be connect for 2 hours. Then disconnect it and use it on battery power. When you see the low battery warning, just save your work, if any, and continue until it goes to sleep automaticaly. At that point, close the lid and let it be closed for 5 hours at least. Then charge it to 100%

And can someone please explain what this means that I found on here...?

DO use your battery frequently and lightly, ideally completing 1-2 charge cycles per week (minimum one charge cycle per month).

It means that you should at least make a 100% discharg a week but not in a single use. For example, 30% one day, 30% the next one, then you fully charge it and then you use the 4th day 40%. So 30+30+40=100 a.k.a "a charge cycle".

Every 1 or 2 months, make the calibration process.

May 24, 2011 5:13 PM in response to Mrguidogenio

Thank you, so when you say close for 5 hours, will it turn itself off? And do I leave it on after the charge before it gets to the low battery warning, or can I switch off till use it again and wait for the low battery

Is the low battery warning the red light in the indicator?

Charged for third time since I got it on Saturday and green light coming on at 99% not 100%, is that normal. It did 100% before

sorry I'm being dim here, but not sure what this means..

For example, 30% one day, 30% the next one, then you fully charge it and then you use the 4th day 40%. So 30+30+40=100 a.k.a "a charge cycle".

If it gets to 30% one day, I charge it at 30%, you mean? and then same next day, then charge at 40%, It doesn't mean I can't charge it every day?

May 31, 2011 5:35 PM in response to the tall

Can someone let me know what I should expect to get from a new battery on the MBP?

The time remaining changes from 7 hours to 4 to 3 within seconds even when I'm not doing anything on it. Is that normal? I understand it changes dependant on what I'm doing on here but do you all get that flip from 4 hours to 8 within a 10 second period and then back again?

Is it more helpful to set to the '%' and less confusing than the estimated time. Since I've been typing this it's changed from 4/6/8 hours just in this minute?

Battery Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.