Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The letters on my iPad keep repeating when I use the keyboard

The letters keep repeating when I use the keyboard

iPad 2

Posted on May 24, 2011 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2011 9:32 PM

Reset your iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, restart your iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPad. To turn iPad back on, press and hold the Sleep/Wake until the Apple logo appears.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2011 9:32 PM in response to natefromphiladelphia

Reset your iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, restart your iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPad. To turn iPad back on, press and hold the Sleep/Wake until the Apple logo appears.

May 24, 2011 9:29 PM in response to natefromphiladelphia

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Multiple letters result when you 'hold down' a key too long.

For best results, touch the on-screen 'keyboard' lightly and quickly with your fingertips.

I find it is easier to type with more accuracy on the larger 'landscape' keyboard, because the keys are spaced better for my fingers.

If you are trying to use a compatible iPhone or iPod Touch app, use the 2x button in the lower right corner to enlarge the iPhone keyboard. (But it still won't be the same layout as the iPad.)

If you've never done much typing, it might help to use a typing tutor app. Several are available in the iTunes App store.

If you have a lot of text to enter (writing papers, transcribing recordings, writing a novel), you might consider purchasing a compatible wireless keyboard. In my experience, two different USB keyboards I own do work when plugged into the USB Camera Connection kit, even though the iPad may 'complain' about the keyboard being an unsupported device.

Message was edited by: kostby

May 3, 2012 2:06 PM in response to natefromphiladelphia

I'm having this very same issue with my new iPad and my Apple wireless keyboard. And, it has nothing to do with how long my finger is on the key. Even if I tap it VERY quickly and lightly, it sometimes (50%) inserts a double character for the first word typed. It's almost as if after not using the keyboard for a minute or so that it sends a double wireless signal to the iPad, almost like a stutter.

If I do a hard reset on the iPad it fixes it, but only temporarily. It eventually reverts back to making double characters for the first word typed.

Jan 30, 2014 6:50 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I have an original Ipad and am using a Zagg wireless keyboard. I keep having problems with a key repeating at random times. I heard that I needed to charge the keyboard battery, which I've done numerous times. I know my keyboard touch is heavy as I have rubbed off some of the letters but don't know if that is a problem or not.

I don't know what else to try. I've done the hard reset holding both buttons down, waiting and resetting. It seems to come and go but is happening several times a day.

Any suggestions?

Jan 6, 2016 2:34 PM in response to kostby

Dear Kostby

i am horrified by your response. 1) depressing the key for a millisecond longer does not cause this issue. I am holding a letter down for more then a second and it does not keep on repeating

2)i had the very same problem of selecting the key resulting in multiple letters. This was resolved by carrying out a reset as mentioned in this forum.

Your post was extremely demining. And you have not had the curtesy to apologise.

The letters on my iPad keep repeating when I use the keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.