Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I ssh from my computer at home to the server at office

Dear all,

I would like to remote to the Mac OSX 10.6 server at office from home. Currently, my solution is to connect to the office network using VPN service and use the ServerAdmin to access the server machine using screen sharing. This solution has been working fine for some day. However, there are times that I just want to access the server via commandline due to the speed of the connectivity. I have tried ssh to the machine address while connected to the VPN but has not been successful, and always got the timeout error. I am pretty sure that I have the ssh service running since there was no problem while using another computer at office to ssh to this server at all. Is this the network problem or do I need to configure any other service on the 10.6 server?

Best,

Kann

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 25, 2011 2:32 AM

1 reply

May 25, 2011 5:06 AM in response to Kann

Kann,

The most likely cause is that your company's firewall is blocking SSH traffic (port 22) from addresses assigned to your VPN client to addresses inside the firewall. If that's the case, you'll need to contact the firewall's administrator and request a change.

Another possibility is that the server you're trying to connect to has the Firewall service running, and that is blocking SSH connections from VPN addresses. You should be able to check it by going to server admin, clicking on the Firewall service, and selecting the Services tab. Set the "Editing Services for:" pop-up menu to the address group which includes your VPN address, then scroll down the list of services until you find SSH - Secure Shell. It should be set to Allow.

--Clint

How do I ssh from my computer at home to the server at office

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.