Skip navigation

Apple please help:

497 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2011 11:17 AM by gumsie RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Bob Caruthers Level 3 Level 3 (805 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 25, 2011 7:09 AM

My 2011 MBP will not stay connected to the internet by wi-fi. The ethernet cable works fine. My iPad2 stays connected by wi-fi. Is there a 2011 MBP wi-fi/internet connection issue repair in the works?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • sig Level 8 Level 8 (35,770 points)
    May 25, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

This is not Apple. This is a user to user forum. If you describe more fully what your issue is perhaps someone can help. Realize that we're not sitting next to you watching your MBP so you need to be decriptive.

• sig Level 8 Level 8 (35,770 points)
    May 25, 2011 9:59 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

"...and I was just adding my complaint to the others.

I was hoping that by addressing my query directly to Apple through this user-to-user forum someone from Apple would by chance see my call for help and maybe take note.

According to what I've gleaned from other threads about this same issue, Apple may or may not be working on a software solution."

Not the right place.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

• MacJoseph Level 3 Level 3 (595 points)
    May 25, 2011 10:07 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

Bob

What Sig is suggesting it what you should do. In addition to that you should take your MBP to the Apple store ASAP and have a Mac Genius look at it and resolve your issue. You're still covered under your Apple Care warranty. There is a very good chance that if it is a hardware issue they may just give you a new MBP. Hope this helps.

Joseph

• gumsie Level 4 Level 4 (2,075 points)
    May 25, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

What wireless protocol are you using? If it isn't WPA2 Personal try that. I had exactly the same with my sisters MacBook Pro.

I personally don't reckon Macs play well with WEP.

May 25, 2011 10:25 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

Well first off, I'm assuming you might be using WEP. Next up, the wireless protocol is set by your router. Which type are you using?

May 25, 2011 10:28 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

Ok cool. What router though?

May 25, 2011 10:32 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

Nope, that's your ISP. You'll have been supplied with a box that transmits the wireless signal to your Mac. It's probably got a power lead and a network lead that connects to a socket on the wall.

May 25, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to Bob Caruthers)

Once this page has loaded take a screen shot or print or whatever as you may lose network connectivity temporarily when you alter the protocol.

Ok, I'm a little stuck now as I don't know that router, but I did find this page. Have a look at it and see if you can login to your router. Once there I don't actually know what you'll see but if you look around you should see something pertaining to wireless security.

Change it and your password, (and your network name if you really want to). If you can make your password 13 digit. Write down anything you have put in, (remembering it'll be case sensitive).

The router will probably ask you to reboot it.

When the router comes back on line you may have to manually reconnect to the network via the Airport menulet at the top of your screen.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.