Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Spaces:

I love Spaces.

But for some reason it behaves differently on my laptop compared to my Imac. Both machines use running Mac OSX 10.5.8.

What I love about how Spaces work on my Imac is that I can have designated windows from different applications on designated desktops.

So lets say I have designated for example desktop 2 (on my Imac) for telephone and sms, then filemaker is running a telephone database and Safari the sms (text message) service page (on desktop 2). When I exit desktop 2 and go to desktop 5 for example the Safari window with the sms service page is not showing up and this is how I like it.

On my laptop this gets chaotic.

The difference is that when I open a window in for example Safari on desktop number 3 on the laptop it is visible on all desktops (1-8).

The settings are the same in both machines except for the + - (program settings).

I guess the solution is to remove the programs like Safari from the program allocation list (in order to make that specific program window appear only on the desktop it was first opened it). And this I guess solved it.

I will keep the posting so other people can read it too or maybe there are other solutions too :-)

Imac 24 inch lcd, Intel 4GB ram, 2,8GHZ AND:, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Duo, 4GB Ram and External Esatadrives

Posted on May 25, 2011 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2011 8:29 AM

An application can have three possible states with respect to Spaces. The default state, if you have not specified otherwise, is any space. That is the application can have windows in any space. For example you could have a Safari window in Space 2 and a different Safari window in Space 5. You can move windows among spaces or open new windows in the current space. This is the normal status for all applications unless you have specifically assigned a different option for that application.

The second option is you can assign an application to a specific space. If you assign Mail to Space 2, then Mail and all its windows should be in Space 2.

Third, you can assign an application to All spaces. If you assign iCal to All Spaces, then you will see the calendar (the same window) in every space. It sounds like you have Safari assigned to All Spaces on your laptop. Remove that assignment, and it should behave normally.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2011 8:29 AM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

An application can have three possible states with respect to Spaces. The default state, if you have not specified otherwise, is any space. That is the application can have windows in any space. For example you could have a Safari window in Space 2 and a different Safari window in Space 5. You can move windows among spaces or open new windows in the current space. This is the normal status for all applications unless you have specifically assigned a different option for that application.

The second option is you can assign an application to a specific space. If you assign Mail to Space 2, then Mail and all its windows should be in Space 2.

Third, you can assign an application to All spaces. If you assign iCal to All Spaces, then you will see the calendar (the same window) in every space. It sounds like you have Safari assigned to All Spaces on your laptop. Remove that assignment, and it should behave normally.

Using Spaces:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.