Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans noticeably louder in new 2011 iMacs?

I purchased a new 2011 iMac with the i7 quad core 3.4ghz processor.

A few days after owning it, the display started acting very strangely. The nearby Apple store replaced the machine since it was within 14 days.

With this new one, I can hear the fan going, all the time. Much more noticeable than my previous iMac (a 2009 model I believe), and more noticeable than the other 2011 iMac we bought with the i5 3.2ghz processor.

It's not running at full speed or anything, I don't even necessarily think it's running when it shouldn't be -- it's just louder, to the point where I actually notice it, when I never did on previous iMacs unless something was wrong.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I just hate to take this second iMac over to the Mac store if it's just "how it is."

Thanks...

Posted on May 25, 2011 9:09 AM

11 replies

May 25, 2011 1:24 PM in response to ThatsUnpossible

I have the upper 21" model and have noticed it too, but honestly it's a welcome relief for me. My previous iMac would get so friggin hot because Apple wanted it to be "whisper quiet" that it would often just shut itself off. I told myself many times that I would rather have a machine with audible fan noise and know that it was being cooled properly than worry about how long I could play a game before it shut off. Plus these machines are more powerful so it makes sense that they had to improve the cooling system.

Incidently, the first one I bought had some Airport issues so I took it in four days later and they swapped it for a new one. I noticed the louder fans on that one too, so I have to think that this is "how it is", and about time, too. 🙂

May 25, 2011 3:14 PM in response to John Kitchen

John Kitchen wrote:

Those temperatures are way, way below the danger zone. What happens when you drive the CPU workload up for a long time?

I'm a little confused by the question, the issue I am having is that the fan is more audible than expected at idle. It definitely doesn't sound like it's running really loudly, as I've heard (usually from my macbook) when the CPU is working hard.

I've tried hitting the CPU just now by running "yes > /dev/null" in 8 different terminal windows at once. It pegs out the CPU in activity monitor at 100%, though the system is still completely responsive. All of the temperatures (except Ambient) are up above 100º and many are above 120º. CPU is now at 144º. Ambient sits at 68º.

The fan speeds remain as they were, almost exactly. I'm guessing because the ambient temp hasn't gone up that much.

A few minutes have passed, CPU is at 150 and so is Power Supply 2. Ambient remains at 68º. (Guess those "loud" fans are working ;-)

Fans noticeably louder in new 2011 iMacs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.