Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i link my time capsule through a virgin media router(netgear))

Hi i am trying to use. My new time capsule as the main wireless router . I have a virgin media netgear router VMDG280. rebooting the router time capsule and computer still results in a flashing amber light

Thanks

Steve

Time capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 25, 2011 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2011 3:14 PM

In practice there should be only one active router on the network. The proper configuration would be:

Cable/DSL modem connects to router's WAN port via Ethernet cable. The router connects to network devices either through an Ethernet cable from the router's LAN ports or wirelessly.

So for your system you would connect an Ethernet cable from one of the NetGear's LAN ports to one of the LAN ports on the TC. In this configuration the TC will act as an expensive switch. IP addresses will still be assigned by the NetGear device.

However, in my opinion I would dump the NetGear device and replace it with a plain modem (no router.) Then utilize the TC as your local network's router. This way you get a better modem to go with an Apple router/TC.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2011 3:14 PM in response to stevenfrombromley

In practice there should be only one active router on the network. The proper configuration would be:

Cable/DSL modem connects to router's WAN port via Ethernet cable. The router connects to network devices either through an Ethernet cable from the router's LAN ports or wirelessly.

So for your system you would connect an Ethernet cable from one of the NetGear's LAN ports to one of the LAN ports on the TC. In this configuration the TC will act as an expensive switch. IP addresses will still be assigned by the NetGear device.

However, in my opinion I would dump the NetGear device and replace it with a plain modem (no router.) Then utilize the TC as your local network's router. This way you get a better modem to go with an Apple router/TC.

Jan 27, 2014 3:33 PM in response to Kappy

I have had the same problem but SOLVED IT this evening.

If you type in your IP address 192.168.0.1 into your google search line it launches you into your virgin media . Put in your username (in my case the default was 'admin' as I hadn't changed it and my password for my virgin media account (not the router password). this took me into the settings page to change my Superhub into a modem only. NB - you can change this back at a later date.

i then re-booted my virginmedia box and then did a soft reset on the Time Machine and BINGO.

I went into the aiport utility on my imac and it asked to create my own home network name and password. Everything works fine and connects to my new home network name in the wifi settings. The time capsule was able to see my network and is now backs up.

How do i link my time capsule through a virgin media router(netgear))

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.