Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail downloading all messages when deleting

My mail program seems to be doing weird stuff that I am pretty sure it never used to do.

I leave messages on my server (pop account) necause I use more than one computer.

Occasionally however I know that I have everything I need so delete all messages from the server in order to prevent downloiading them again when I go to another computer.

This is where the weirdness starts. When it removes the messages from the server, it downloads them all, often a few thousand, even if it has downloaded them already, like when it was originally received. I have been using this procedure for a number of years and it never used to do this.

Basically now whenever I remove old messages from the server I get my system collged up with thousands of "unread" messages that in fact have been read, it just decided to download them all again.

Any idea why it is doing this and how I bloody well stop it?

By the way I see there is no discussion group for mail in this new version of discussions, so I figured here is as good a place as any.

Thanks in Advance,

Sean

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 25, 2011 7:38 PM

1 reply

May 26, 2011 9:46 AM in response to seanfromminato-ku

Hi Sean,

I haven't tried this in 10.6.x, (this is the 10.4.x forums), but if you do not have the option to make an IMAP instead of POP account there...

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

If that doesn't do it and you can afford to redo all your Rules, try these & reboot...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist.backup

Mail downloading all messages when deleting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.