Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone photo naming

How can I name photos from my Iphone before importing them to Iphoto?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 25, 2011 7:06 PM

2 replies

May 26, 2011 11:16 AM in response to George D.

I did come up with a work around that worked.

First is the reason that I want to add a name before importing pictures into Iphoto is that if you import them and then name them in Iphoto you have a photo with two names. One is the name given by the Iphone and the second given by you. If you import the photo into Iphoto, it goes into a "package." You can see the contents of the Iphoto package by selecting the Iphoto library in the finder, click on the gear wheel in the menu bar in the finder window and then select "Show Package Contents." If you open the "Masters" folder to can work your way down into subsequent menus, through years, months and the date of the photo. Here is the rub. Unless you name the photos before you import them to Iphoto they will have the camera assigned name.

What I do is to name them before importing them so that they have the name I assigned when they get into Iphoto. I ran into trouble trying to do this last night but there is a work around. By using Preview, selecting file in the top menu and going to Import from Iphone, you can see the entire list of files in your iphone. I use the slider at the bottom of the menu to make the thumbnails as large as I can. You can delete photos and movies easily from this list. At the bottom of the window is an "Import to:" I select the default which is to pictures. Once they are on my computer HD, then I can delete from the Iphone if desired from this list view.

Now that it is in my pictures folder I can name them using the finder or with something like Adobe Bridge. Now when I import them into Iphoto they have the name I gave them in the originals folder inside the package and the same name is visible in my Iphoto library window. This has been helpful in the past when I wanted to find an original file. I could not match up the name assigned in Iphoto with the name assigned by the camera. This technique makes that linkage easy.

Iphone photo naming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.