3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2011 2:15 AM by KrankB
Beno 44 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Hi,

I'm have a very frustrating permission error on a roaming client.

Error Message:

May 26 21:46:21 iMac Mail[277]: Error writing to /Network/Servers/dolphin.exemple.lan/Users/sha/Library/Mail/CalDAV-ical@mail.em xemple.lan/.mboxCache.plist: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x11719fa30 "You don’t have permission to save the file “.mboxCache.plist” in the folder “CalDAV-ical@mail.exemple.lan”." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Permission denied")

iMac:~ sha$ ls -lah /Network/Servers/dolphin.exemple.lan/Users/sha/Library/Mail/CalDAV-ical\@mail.e xemple.lan                 

total 8

drwxrwxrwx+  3 sha  staff   264B May 26 21:46 .

drwxrwxrwx+ 22 sha  staff   704B May 26 21:55 ..

-rwxrwxrwx+  1 sha  staff   216B Feb 25 13:31 .mboxCache.plist

The permissions seem fine but still getting this error. It appears to be throughout ~/Library.

What have I missed?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Esther Mofet Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)

From the ls, it looks like you have ACLs enabled on those objects (the + after the permissions).  Maybe the ACL is denying permission to specific users or groups that don't appear in the ls -alh.

Adding the -e to ls should show the ACL for each object. It would show something like:

drwxr-xr-x+  6 user  group   204B Aug 25  2009 tmp

0: group:everyone deny delete

Hope this helps.

• Beno 44 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Thank you. I have found this late last night...

To remove ACL:

sudo chmod -R -N /Users/sha/

Thanks for your input.

• KrankB Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks to this discussion, I could solve a huge permission problem on my Library user folder, just after upgrading to Lion. Thanks!

Also I'd like to add that purging ACLs on a specific folder can be done without terminal using MacPilot

Charles