Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What version of Win 7

Just got my new iMac and since XP will not work what version of Win 7 should I use?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Intel Core i5

Posted on May 26, 2011 12:35 PM

8 replies

May 26, 2011 8:35 PM in response to Csound1

I think you want an answer to the 32/64-bit architecture quandary.

No real contest. If you plan to up the RAM at any time, you'll have to go with 64-bit if you want to see it all and apps to use it all.

The only reason to go with 32-bit at this point is really to bring your older XP-compatible hardware or software into 7 without much fuss. If you went with Pro or a higher tier flavor of whatever architecture you picked, you could download a complete XP VM (Windows XP Mode) and run with it.

Nate

May 27, 2011 8:34 PM in response to Csound1

Windows editions have a habit of being confusing.

The Home flavors of Vista and 7 usually have the stuff most people want in Windows turned on by default--namely gaming stuff, family controls and media organization and sharing tools. But they can't join a domain nor do they offer fine-grain control over user privileges. These editions limit the Backup tools to local documents only, as opposed to a full system backup in other editions. File encryption is turned off as well.

Media Cebter and Parental Controls are permanently disabled in Pro, but you have full networking power and the ability to make complete backups. Games are turned off by default, but can be loaded (unless you're running the 64-bit Intel 965 (X3100) display driver; under that condition, games crash frequently)

May 28, 2011 12:45 PM in response to Olemacr

OK Many thanks for all the replies.

I did finally get 7 installed but I did have a problem until I used a wired keyboard instead of the wireless one. I have no idea why but after 4 tries (wirekess) to get 7 installed the 5th time (wired) worked with out any difficulty what so ever. The problem was that after 7 restarted all I got was a blue screen with a pulsating narrow strip at the top.

All's well that ends well!

May 28, 2011 2:59 PM in response to Olemacr

Sounds like you missed the required step of formatting the BOOTCAMP volume as NTFS. Or, you may have formatted the wronng partition, period.

Check to confirm that your Mac will start up in OS X. If you can, then all you need to do is to start from the point of installing Windows. For safety reasons, I'm going to recommend also switching off the wireless keyboard and going strictly with wired equipment until the issue has been resolved.

If instead you inadvertently formatted the Mac side, there isn't much you can do save restoring with the discs in the packet you got with your Mac.

Nate

What version of Win 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.