Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't authenticate to Workgroup Manager (Local) as Administrator?

(Somewhat newbie Mac Server admin here!)

I've just completed a fresh installation of OS X Server (10.6.7). While logged in to the server locally (physically) on an Administrator account (e.g. "enwood"), I find I cannot authenticate in Workgroup Manager when I switch to the LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 directory. I can only authenticate as user "root".

If my local account ("enwood") is an Administrator account, with the rights to "administer this server" and "access account", what do I have to do to have permissions to manage the local LDAP directory? I don't really want to have to login as root, or even authenticate as root unless absolutely necessary.

Also, what is typical practice where I need an account for local login and an account for workgroup login when I can't use the same name for both accounts?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 26, 2011 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2011 9:16 PM

Try and log in as diradmin.

Use the same password that you set for the admin account when you set up the server

7 replies

Oct 19, 2011 7:30 PM in response to enwood

i also can't login using my own credentials even though i'm an administrator, but diradmin does work. however, after authenticating, the workgroup manager freezes for about 1 minute. after every action i try to perform the workgroup manager freezes for about a minute before carrying out the task.

Dec 8, 2011 7:53 AM in response to scarf

I am trying to make default changes to the "Guest" account on the local machine in our reception area with Workgroup Manager. Thus, I am working on the following:

"Viewing local directory: /Local/Default. Not authenticated"

I have found the Guest User (UID 201).

I'm stuck as attempts to unlock are unsuccessful. I've tried my administrator username and password as well as "diradmin" with both my administrator password and "diradmin" with the Master Password for the computer.

I'm sure I'm doing something brainless, but need some help.

Thanks.

Can't authenticate to Workgroup Manager (Local) as Administrator?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.