Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open BIOS in Vista partition (macbook pro 2009 w/ Snow Leopard)

I'm trying to do a clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 on my 32-bit Vista partition, using an upgrade DVD made in 2009 I bought through my college this year. I've been through the forums and around the internet and understand that since a 32-bit system doesn't recognize this 64-bit upgrade media, I need to boot from the disk. I can't get my computer to do that, however.

I've tried to enter the BIOS settings on the Vista partition, but no command keys will let me... all that the function keys have let me do is get to the "safe mode" selection screen. Command+option+o+f and the other similar combinations also haven't worked at all.

Is the only other option to go buy a 32-bit upgrade CD or a full W7 DVD altogether? So far I've gotten the gist that it should be possible with the DVD I have if I could only get it to boot from the disk...

Thanks for your help, whoever helps me out!

MacBook Pro, Windows Vista

Posted on May 26, 2011 2:41 PM

6 replies

May 27, 2011 4:15 AM in response to danielfromindianapolis

How old is the MBP? is it listed as supported for 64-bit or not?

Buy from your school the Windows 7 64-bit and burn to DVD.

Forget using the upgrade. I'd get the Windows 7 SP1 64-bit System Builder if you are no longer a student, either Pro or Home Premium ($99 vs $129)

If you can't boot, if you get "Select CD 1 or 2" then your Mac doesn't support 64-bit.

Select CD-ROM Boot Error Apple Communities

May 28, 2011 10:56 PM in response to The hatter

@The hatter:
My MBP was made in 2009, and I've had it since that year. I mainly use my Windows partition for games, which are mostly old nostalgic favorites like the Baldur's Gate series, stuff like that (still in school... new, high-power-demanding games not a financial priority).

I ran the program to see whether my mac was capable of supporting 64-bit, and it said it was, so that narrows down the issue. From what you said, I think I'll forget the DVD I've got now. It was only 10 bucks through the school anyway. The college doesn't offer Windows 7 software by itself... only as an upgrade DVD. I might be able to trade my 64-bit DVD for a 32-bit one, but I ask your advice there: would it be worth the $100+ to get 64-bit? And if I did get a whole new Windows 7 OS, would I just need to delete my old Vista partition and replace it with W7? I can afford to dump all my data in that partition; I've hardly used it yet because frankly Vista is useless.

Thanks!

Can't open BIOS in Vista partition (macbook pro 2009 w/ Snow Leopard)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.