Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My DNS is the remote address for phony Log-On

My NortonAV for the Mac provides a log of attempted connections to my computer. Often times, the remote address used for secure log-in, file sharing, web sharing, etc. (none of which I have ever used) is the same address as my DNS. What does this mean? I've quered my ISP but have not received a response and I don't want to wait any longer before taking action. This does not seem right. I want to raise my level of security but I'm not sure what I should do.

MAC

Posted on May 26, 2011 2:36 PM

2 replies

May 26, 2011 2:40 PM in response to OPEDinMV

Norton AV is not compatible with Apple OS X - you need to get rid of it.

Norton Antivirus has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

As for the DNS issue, try using Open DNS:

Adding Open DNS codes to your Network Preferences, should give good results in terms of speed-up as well as added security:

[b]If you are using a single computer:[/b] Open System Preferences/Network. Double click on your connection type, or select it in the drop-down menu, and in the box marked 'DNS Servers' add the following two numbers:

(You can also enter them if you click on Advanced and then DNS)

Message was edited by: Klaus1

My DNS is the remote address for phony Log-On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.