Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD registary error shows up on start up, can't burn a cd.

When I start up iTunes I get a message that says that registary errors occured, etc, etc, try and re-install iTunes. I know this has to do with the GEARSAspiWDM driver. I have changed the regsitary and added the UpperFilter with the GEARSAspiWDM and then rebooted. This gets rid of the error message but then my laptop doesn't recognize that I have a CD/DVD drive. It completely dissappears. So if I go in an delete the UpperFilters, the CD/DVD drive re-appears and the error message comes up again. When I do try to burn a CD I get a message that no recording software is found. If I insert a pre-recorded CD iTunes recognizes it. I have looked all over for hours to find a fix and came up empty. I am hoping someone on this forum or and iTunes moderator can finally help me out. I am running Windows Vista and my CD/DVD is a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D ATA. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Dell, Windows XP

Posted on May 27, 2011 5:04 AM

7 replies

May 27, 2011 3:32 PM in response to mets721

This gets rid of the error message but then my laptop doesn't recognize that I have a CD/DVD drive. It completely dissappears.

That brings to mind some further possibilities, but we'll need to have a closer look to see if any of them are in play.

Could you post your diagnostics for us please?

In iTunes, go "Help > Run Diagnostics". Uncheck the boxes other than DVD/CD tests, as per the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

... and click "Next".

When you get through to the final screen:

User uploaded file

... click the "Copy to Clipboard" button and paste the diagnostics into a reply here.

Jun 1, 2011 4:44 AM in response to b noir

Sorry it took a few days to post, but here is the copy of my CD diagnostic test. When I inserted the pre-recorded CD to run the test, Itunes opened it and asked if I wanted to copy the CD to iTunes which is normal. It even displayed a list of the songs. However when I tried to run the test it said no audio CD was detected. Thanks for the help.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)

Dell Inc. MM061

iTunes 10.2.2.14

QuickTime 7.6.9

FairPlay 1.11.17

Apple Application Support 1.5.1

iPod Updater Library 10.0d2

CD Driver 2.2.0.1

CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1

Apple Mobile Device 3.4.0.25

Apple Mobile Device Driver not found.

Bonjour 2.0.5.0 (214.3)

Gracenote SDK 1.8.2.457

Gracenote MusicID 1.8.2.89

Gracenote Submit 1.8.2.123

Gracenote DSP 1.8.2.34

Current user is not an administrator.

The current local date and time is 2011-06-01 07:00:12.

iTunes is not running in safe mode.

WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.

HDCP is not supported.

Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

ATI Technologies Inc., ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

The driver AFS.SYS is installed on the system.

iPodService 10.2.2.14 is currently running.

iTunesHelper 10.2.2.14 is currently running.

Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****

No drivers in LowerFilters.

No drivers in UpperFilters.

Failed loading CD / DVD drives, error -43. Try doing a repair install on iTunes from the "Add or Remove Programs" control panel.

<Edited by Host>

Jun 1, 2011 4:16 AM in response to mets721

🙂 perfect, thanks.

The driver AFS.SYS is installed on the system.

That's the one I was wondering about.

Try Solution 2 from the following document:

iTunes for Windows: Optical drive is no longer recognized, or "Disc burner or software not found" alert after install

Once the driver files have been moved, try adding the UpperFilters entry back in your registry. Do you still have the drives visible now even though the UpperFilters entry is now in place?

Jun 1, 2011 11:14 AM in response to b noir

I went in and removed the AFS file. Then went into rededit and went into the registary ending in 08002BE10318 and added UpperFilters, and put in GEARAspiWDM. restarted and got the registarty error when I started iTunes. Went back into the registary and entered LowerFilters and left it blank. restarted and got the same problem. This used to get rid of the registary error message on iTunes start up and make my CD drive disappear. Now it appears to do nothing. ran a diagnostics test and the results are posted below. I also went to gearsoft and downloaded thier newest driver released in December 2010, this did nothing either. Getting frustrated with iTunes!!!

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

Dell Inc. MM061

iTunes 10.2.2.14

QuickTime 7.6.9

FairPlay 1.11.17

Apple Application Support 1.5.1

iPod Updater Library 10.0d2

CD Driver 2.2.0.1

CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1

Apple Mobile Device 3.4.0.25

Apple Mobile Device Driver not found.

Bonjour 2.0.5.0 (214.3)

Gracenote SDK 1.8.2.457

Gracenote MusicID 1.8.2.89

Gracenote Submit 1.8.2.123

Gracenote DSP 1.8.2.34

iTunes Serial Number 002BB08003B3E318

Current user is not an administrator.

The current local date and time is 2011-06-01 14:09:39.

iTunes is not running in safe mode.

WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.

HDCP is not supported.

Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

ATI Technologies Inc., ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

iPodService 10.2.2.14 is currently running.

iTunesHelper 10.2.2.14 is currently running.

Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****

Failed loading CD / DVD drives, error -43. Try doing a repair install on iTunes from the "Add or Remove Programs" control panel.

Jun 1, 2011 3:18 PM in response to mets721

It's not registering the filter edit at all.

We'd better have a closer look at the keys to see what's going on.

Can you post a screenshot of the contents of the key you've been editing, please? Include all of the regedit screen, including the left-hand column. Save the screenshot to an image file, and insert the image file in a reply by clicking the wee camera icon at the top of the reply window.

Jun 2, 2011 8:57 AM in response to b noir

It's fixed! Problem with it not working and showing up in registary filter edit was carelessness on my part. When I created the "uppperfilters" I made it a new string instead of a new multi-string. I wonderd why it looked different when I was entering the GEARAspiWDM. Once I figured that out, I deleted the string file and created the Multi-string, added the GEARSAspiWDM and it worked great! Thanks alot for your help, the solution you offered worked perfect.

Jun 2, 2011 1:55 PM in response to mets721

🙂 You're welcome!

Gosh, but you got put through the wringer with this one ... a rarer (nowadays) cause of the optical drive disappearances, and the rarer (nowadays) thing about the Multi-string. Nice work on your part to spot the latter issue in the keys, and many thanks for reporting back with your resolution for it.

CD registary error shows up on start up, can't burn a cd.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.