Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need antivirus on my iPhone 4?

Recently the local news said that people with smartphones should get antivirus protection on them. My family members with android phones all downloaded some free antivirus apps. Do I need to do this with my iPhone, or is it okay not to? What are my risk factors if I don't?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.7

Posted on May 27, 2011 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2011 9:29 AM

NO.

There are no viruses affecting iphones.

27 replies

May 27, 2011 11:29 AM in response to ac14

Even on an Android phone, the performance and battery hit you'll take running anti-virus software (it's signficant) probably far outweighs any possible problems that you might get from malware. There have, to date, been very few viruses even for Androids. I've been using Android phones for almost two years. I've yet to encounter any issues with viruses and would never consider putting anti-virus software on them as I've seen how much it slows them down. Local news stations have a very bad habit of sensationalizing everything.

Jul 17, 2011 9:23 AM in response to Wylie-Girl

Wylie-Girl wrote:

Im pretty sure that my iphone got hacked today... what i was typing was being deleted and replaced by other words and i wasnt even touching the keypad. WEIRD AND NOT OK!!!! please tell me there is an anti-virus solution available and some detective app available to help me confirm/clean my phone

That is called 'auto-correction'.

Jun 28, 2012 8:53 AM in response to ac14

I do my banking online an I do it through my iPhone. I just had to call the bank and reset a new username and password cause the ones before we're compromised. I just had to do this two months ago too. I set up a new username and everything but the bank says I will not be allowed to access it with my phone until I jet an antivirus on my phone cause that's the problem...... If there is no antivirus for iPhone then what the ****??

Jun 28, 2012 9:14 AM in response to Mlayne66

If you know what a virus is, then you know that antivirus would not be any help with your insecure bank, and you need to change banks since whoever told you this is an idiot.

You do online banking with your iPhone only. Never with any other device or computer?

And this is done with the Safari browser on your iPhone? Your bank does not have an iPhone app?

Jun 28, 2012 9:45 AM in response to Mlayne66

Apparently not since there are no viruses that affect or infect iOS.

How would this Einstein at your bank know your iPhone has a virus, which means you downloaded and installed it from an email attachment or from a website which is impossible with an iPhone - unless you have hacked your iPhone with the cutsie term for that - jailbreak. Have you hacked your iPhone? The definition of a virus includes the ability to spread from computer or device virally - without the infected users knowledge. If a virus, this means it has spread from your iPhone to other iOS devices virally, which is impossible with a non-hacked iPhone.

And before the iPhone, you never did online banking with this bank?

If your secure bank has an iPhone app, probably a good idea to use it, but I world run from that bank in a hurry.

Do I need antivirus on my iPhone 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.