Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spell check not working

When I try to spell check a Pages document I get and error tone and none of my misspellings are noted or corrected. Spelling as I type is not corrected either.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), MacBook Air

Posted on May 27, 2011 10:06 AM

13 replies

May 27, 2011 10:40 AM in response to fruhulda

To check spelling I go to the Edit menu and select Spelling->Check Spelling I immediately get an error tone. If go to the Edit menu and select Spelling->Spelling... i get a grayed out dialog box and an error tone if I click on any of the buttons in the dialog box. "Check Spelling as You Type" is checked but I do not have any misspelled words appear with a red underline.

May 28, 2011 1:34 AM in response to jimhaynes

jimhaynes wrote:

(1) To check spelling I go to the Edit menu and select Spelling->Check Spelling I immediately get an error tone.

(2) If go to the Edit menu and select Spelling->Spelling... i get a grayed out dialog box and an error tone if I click on any of the buttons in the dialog box.

(3) "Check Spelling as You Type" is checked but I do not have any misspelled words appear with a red underline.

As far as I know, the behavior described in points 1 and 2 is not the normal one.

The one described as point 3 is normal if you selected none in the local menu of the Inspector > Text > More ruling the language used by the spell checker.

If we select none, the checker checks nothing so it underline nothing.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 28 mai 2011 10:34:05

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

May 28, 2011 3:08 AM in response to jimhaynes

I discovered the problem and solved it. I had started this document in Pages. My partner emailed me additions that were created in MS Word. I cut and pasted those additions into my Pages document. This apparently killed the ability for Pages to spell check the document. I solved the problem by copying all the text (CMD+A) in the Pages document into TextEdit. I then copied all the text in TextEdit and pasted it into my Pages document. Spell Check then worked perfectly. Lesson learned; don't try to mix and match Word and Pages. First clean up all the Word code with a text editor and then paste the "cleaned" text into Pages.

Jul 24, 2011 1:45 AM in response to fruhulda

Hi Fruhulda

(1) I'm so afraid by the fact that the new keabord is really thin that it seems that I don't press sufficiently on keys so I miss some of them.

I was supposed to type :

It strikes under Lion !

(2) Here is what the dictionary states about the verb "to strike"

User uploaded file

The described behavior appears when the app is used under Lion, not when it's used unde Snow Leopard.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 24 juillet 2011 10:45:14

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Jul 24, 2011 5:19 AM in response to fruhulda

Hello

As you know at this time the engineers are unable to give an easy entry point to

Keynote for iOS

Numbers for iOS

Pages for iOS

so, I guess that they will not give us one entry for the apps for Lion and one for the apps for 'old' OS.

I asked for this kind of interface:

User uploaded file

But at this time, no luck.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 24 juillet 2011 14:19:29

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8

Spell check not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.