Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupt Sequence? - Out of Memory Error rendering time lapse

Hope you all can help! Here's my best description:

MCB pro 2010 core i7 w/ 8 gig ram

Scratch Disks have 150 GB free, external

FCP 7.0.3

I've got a time lapse converted to ProRes LT @ full resolution (5184 x 3456) so I can do some zoom/pans. Typical workflow . . .

Drop it on the ProRes LT 1920x1080 sequence timeline

Adjust keyframes

Render

When I tried to render this time it gave me an "Out of Memory" error. I tried trimming just a piece of the file to render and same error message.

FIX: I created a new ProRes LT 1920x1080 sequence in the same project and it renders fine.

So I'm guessing I have a corrupt timeline, which I seen referred to on forums, BUT I don't see any fixes. How do you fix a corrupt timeline?

Thanks, Peeps!!

-Jamison

A1297, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MBP 17" i7

Posted on May 27, 2011 10:59 AM

10 replies

May 27, 2011 11:09 AM in response to JLuther

SOULTION!!

I'm my own best admin!

So I forgot to mention that I had the speed turned up to 125% on the full res (5184 x 3456) time lapse file (is that called 5k resolution?).

That was causing the error. Weird. I thought you'd be able to speed up a full res time lapse file in FCP. If anyone has some work arounds/solutions so I can speed up full res time lapses in FCP, I'm all ears.

Hope this little forum monologue helps someone out there 🙂

May 27, 2011 2:17 PM in response to JLuther

> I've got a time lapse converted to ProRes LT @ full resolution (5184 x 3456) so I can do some zoom/pans. <

As SoCal says below, you can't do this in FCP.

But you want to reconsider your project's design. You've captured your still images on a DSLR and you've processed them from the original raw or TIFF to jpeg, probably, to make the creation of the image sequence simple and more or less bombproof. Allow me to ask you why you think you want to scale to 400-800%?

A 5k x 3.5k image contains almost 18 million pixels (that's whole LOT of pixels), a 1920 x 1080 video frame contains only about 2 million pixels. Doing the math, roughly 80% of your image sequence's pixels are going to waste as you scale it to fit your video window. If you need to do a push in to full pixel-to-pixel rez, figure out a way to do it without forcing the rest of your project to be so inefficient. If you need to maintain that magnification, you need to shoot with a different lens or crop you image as you do the QT image sequence.

Do you know anyone with After Effects? AE does't care how big your image sequence is. AE will digest anything.

bogiesan

Message was edited by: David Bogie Chq-1

May 27, 2011 11:46 PM in response to JLuther

As said above, youre overstressing your system doing timelapses like this, even speeding up that kind of file size. I use motion for this kind of thing in the following way

1. set up a 1920x1080 project in motion

2. import your image sequence

3. resize, do pans, zooms etc in motion

4. save your motion project to same location as the stills,

5. export a 1920x1080 prores quicktime again to same location as stills

now cut away with your new timelapse quicktime (and do speed changes if you wish), and if you need to amend anything go back to the saved motion project and tweak (or use motion on a round trip). its a robust and stress free way of doing what you want.

Dec 7, 2011 6:04 AM in response to JLuther

hey there. tangential question, but sounds like you'll all know the answer:

My footage is ProRes and 5760px wide, but my FCP 7.0.3 wont allow me to make a sequence who's width is more than 4096px wide.

Looks like you guys aren't having any trouble using images over that size.

HOW DO YOU DO IT???

Thanks

toop

Corrupt Sequence? - Out of Memory Error rendering time lapse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.