Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netgear wireless dongle - settings in 'Network'...?

I had my Netgear WT111v2 working intermittently on my Mac Pro - but now it seems to not work at all...There are 10.5 drivers (Im 10.5.6) and the Netgear software comes up and actually shows the wireless connection working. The problem is - I dont think OSX is recognising the connection - as internet explorer and software update both say there is no internet connection. I suspect my Network settings are not correct - but have no idea what I have to do to sync up the Netgear software app -> OSX network settings...

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

Posted on May 27, 2011 11:30 AM

8 replies

May 27, 2011 12:12 PM in response to SWAN909808

Hi,

10.5.x/10.6.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Put this in the Browser's URL bar...

Does that take you to apple.com?

When you say internet explorer, are you running Windows®?

May 27, 2011 12:57 PM in response to SWAN909808

Yes, it's not connecting to the Router or Modem, or whatever, 169.254.x.x is Self assigned when it can't find a Router or device willing to hand out an IP.

Do you know the IP of your Talk Talk?

Might click on Advanced>TCP/IP tab in the Network pref pane & try Renew DHCP Lease.

Sometimes if you unplug the USB Wifi device & plug it back in it'll connect in a minute or so.

May 27, 2011 1:31 PM in response to BDAqua

TalkTalk is our ISP and dont think there is a specific IP?

Ive tried plugging it in...

I thnk I realise part of the problem now - and why its gone off...one of my flatmates changed the settings on the modem...

I have gone into the modem settings and manually set the DNS, IP4v addresse...Router address...

to no avail...if I was to call someone about this - who would it be? OSX, Netgear dongle, Belikin router...:(

May 27, 2011 1:51 PM in response to SWAN909808

Is the Roter set to only allow certain Hardware MAC addresses? That might be what is changed?

Well, what is the Roter address? Something like 192.168.1.1 ???

If you know the IP of the Router, make a new Location and try like this for TCP/IP>iIPv4 set to Manually...

IP: 192.168.1.9 (the last digit would just need to be one or 2 higher than the number of other devices connecting.)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1 (assuming that is the Routers IP)

Netgear wireless dongle - settings in 'Network'...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.