Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues with Copping files after using Hitachi external HD

Hey all. new to the fourms. I have an iBook G4, probably about 5 years old. I just recently bought a Hitachi 1 TB external Hard Drive to load a bunch of stuff i have on data dvd's on to it. I did well with it for a while. Then when i went to copy something over instead of my cursor becoming a green plus sign it was a clear anti sign or strike through. No biggie. I unplugled the hard drive properly and came back later, worked for a dvd or two then did that again. Now i'm tring to transfer over a game update that i downloaded and is on a regular .dmg file and i'm getting that same sign. The external HD is not plugged in and I have powered off and on my computer as well. What other info do you need to assist me on this.

Thanks for all the help 🙂

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1 GB DDR SDRAM

Posted on May 27, 2011 1:09 PM

5 replies

May 27, 2011 2:35 PM in response to colsson0

yea its not only the hard drive now doing that. like i said i had the hard drive unplugged and when i went to download an update for a game it put a .dmg file on my desktop and tells me to move the folder into the applications. when i try and do that i still get the same symbol that wont copy. so something in my system is messed up i think. any ideas?

May 29, 2011 9:17 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

yea i did go to disc utility and looked at the hard drive. i did set it to repair. i think i need to run the permissions on my own computer. though i did log out and log back in and got things to work fine. so i can do that each time the hard drive acts up.

thank you all for your help. also if you can think of anything else i love listening to other ideas 🙂

Having issues with Copping files after using Hitachi external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.