Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing RAW, keeping JPG?

I've been importing RAW+JPG with JPG as master for a while now, and have found I just don't need the RAW. I'd like to "split" them off and archive to an external drive and just keep the JPG versions in Aperture 3 (I don't use Aperture for RAW editing anyway, since Capture NX2 does just fine). Is there a way to do this easily?

27" iMac i5 (12Gb RAM), Mac OS X (10.6.3), 24" iMac 3.06GHz, Macbook Air 11.6", TV2, iPhone 3GS, 500Gb Tim

Posted on May 27, 2011 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2011 2:26 AM

A Smart Album will find them for you, then export them as Masters to whereever and then delete them from Aperture.

Regards

TD

14 replies

May 28, 2011 11:08 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

A Smart Album will find them for you...

I can't make that work with JPEG/RAW imported as pairs. Works as 'separate masters', but from what I make of the OP he's importing pairs with 'jpeg as master'.

The only way I know to split a pair, without resorting to fooling with the library from finder, is to export Master. I get a folder with a jpeg and a raw in it. Then you delete the files in Aperture, and import whatever and archive whatever to where-ever.

There's a bit of work to there if you're processing a lot of files, and there should be an easier way. I'd be happy to know if there is one.

Might be a good idea for OP to import as 'separate masters' from here on. Then he can use smart albums to manage the process.

May 28, 2011 12:16 PM in response to Xian Rinpoche

Well, as a test, I just manually deleted a paired RAW file using Finder. When I reloaded Aperture 3, the only thing of note was that the "Set RAW as Master" was greyed out. Nothing else of note. No missing referenced file (and not a single other JPG+RAW pair shows the RAW file when I choose "locate referenced file." So maybe it's just as simple as deleting the RAW in Finder?

May 28, 2011 6:17 PM in response to Xian Rinpoche

"Set Raw as Master" greyed out and no "missing file" alert is a good sign. Aperture realizes the raw is gone from the pair and doesn't seem to care.

So... another plus for referenced files? I'm using managed so just deleting Raw with finder means tinkering with library package and navigating it's almost inscrutable folder structure.

Jul 18, 2012 2:49 PM in response to skingstone

I deleted my RAW files manually through Finder, but what you're set to do sounds like it would work as well. To be on the safe side, you might want to export all those RAWs to an external drive before deleting. That, or if Aperture sends trashed files to the system trash, just open the trash can and drag them to an external drive from there.

Jul 18, 2012 3:06 PM in response to Xian Rinpoche

for some reason, I can't find the raw files in Finder. In spotlight, I search *.nef and nothing comes up? I also realized that since they are paired with the jpg. If I delete the raw file, I lose the jpg version for some reason. Currently, I am exporting a jpg version. Setting master to Raw and deleting it. Then I will have to re-import the jpg -- I guess. I just wish i didn't import as pairs!

Jul 19, 2012 8:11 AM in response to skingstone

It sounds to me like you're not using a referenced library. A managed library stores all the files within Aperture's own library file (which you can explore by right-clicking and choosing "Show Package Contents"). I don't think Spotlight will search inside a package file, so that might be why you can't find your RAW files. If that's the case, then I don't know what the best course of action would be. This thread was base don a referenced library. A managed library is a different beast.

Removing RAW, keeping JPG?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.