Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backups -- are they accessible by Boot Camp, Parallels &/or Fusion virtual machines?

From what I've read, Time Machine backups have to be done on a MAC OS X EXTENDED-formatted hard drive.

Does that mean that files in a TM backup aren't accessible to Boot Camp, Parallels, or VMWare Fusion 'virtual machines' -- i.e., because of the MAC 'disk formatting'?

Thanks. Replies appreciated.

Posted on May 27, 2011 8:24 PM

1 reply

May 29, 2011 7:06 PM in response to dymar

Sorry about the &/or in the Topic line (it was just &/or when I typed it -- apparently the Apple 'Communities' software doesn't like that), . . . but is this inquiry really so esoteric?

All I'm really asking is whether Parallels can open a file from a Time Machine backup (e.g., if the primary hard drive gets trashed, etc.)

Reason: Windows can't access Mac-formatted disks (such as those that have Time Machine backups on them). I don't know whether Parallels somehow circumvents that.

Replies appreciated.

Time Machine backups -- are they accessible by Boot Camp, Parallels &/or Fusion virtual machines?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.