Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Emails flagged but not showing up?

Hi all,

I'm using Mac mail in Leopard.

I've got some problems with Mail, but the main thing I'm wondering now is whether Mac support ongoing development of Mail for G5? Probably not hey?

Mail has the little red flag (or circle) telling me there 1 new email that I have not read, but I cannot find it. I have rules specifying where to send various category of email, but it has never 'hidden' the email before and always showed which email box had new emails in it.

What have I turned off or what has broken, and how do I find where my email is? Cheers.

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on May 27, 2011 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2011 10:16 PM

>I've got some problems with Mail, but the main thing I'm wondering now is whether Mac support ongoing development of Mail for G5? Probably not hey?

Correct, no Mail updates for 10.5.x, no more apple updates foe PPC... well, possibly one more Security update or such, but...

On the missing Mail, make a Smart Mailbox that just shows Unread Mail, I think it'll show up there.

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

If that doesn't do it and you can afford to redo all your Rules, try these & reboot...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist.backup

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2011 10:16 PM in response to Eclipse Now

>I've got some problems with Mail, but the main thing I'm wondering now is whether Mac support ongoing development of Mail for G5? Probably not hey?

Correct, no Mail updates for 10.5.x, no more apple updates foe PPC... well, possibly one more Security update or such, but...

On the missing Mail, make a Smart Mailbox that just shows Unread Mail, I think it'll show up there.

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move these folder & file to the Desktop.

Reboot.

If that doesn't do it and you can afford to redo all your Rules, try these & reboot...

May 27, 2011 11:29 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for that. I've got to moving the Caches/Mail and Envelope Index to the desktop, rebooted, and then 300+ email flags came up.

It was like this whole bunch of unread emails I quickly dumped in my 'comedy' list suddenly popped into Mail's awareness. What have I done to my email by moving these things to the desktop, and do I have to put these folders back?

May 28, 2011 10:12 AM in response to Eclipse Now

>What have I done to my email by moving these things to the desktop, and do I have to put these folders back?

You made it rethink all it's numbers & locations so to speak. You can trash those things you moved to the desktop.

>I just wonder why the little number that usually comes up next to the folder/s has sometimes disappeared?

It should be blank when there are zero unread for the Inbox, Drafts & such is the total number.

May 28, 2011 9:27 PM in response to Eclipse Now

Is this the correct Answer.Solution...

Reboot.

New Emails flagged but not showing up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.