Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Forward Slash' (/) character does not render properly in post 'titles'

My recent post in the OS X 10.5 community, titled as shown below, was actually:

"Time Machine backups -- are they accessible by Boot Camp, Parallels &/or Fusion virtual machines?"

Time Machine backups -- are they accessible by Boot Camp, Parallels &/or Fusion virtual machines?

Either the 'forward slash' (/) character or the '&' are causing a mis-rendering.

Posted on May 27, 2011 8:59 PM

4 replies

May 30, 2011 1:21 PM in response to Tuttle

Tuttle wrote:

Special characters are changed to html entities in titles when a post is edited. If you use these characters in a title and then edit your post, make sure you re-enter those characters before you publish your edited post.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand. I just put '&/or' in the title when I composed the message. When the message actually posted the '&/or' was coverted to '&/or'. I don't follow what editing the post itself (if I even did that) has to do with it. IOW, I assume that if I put '&/or' in another message title the same thing would happen.

May 30, 2011 2:13 PM in response to dymar

In my experience, using special characters in titles is okay until the topic post (OP) is edited. At that point, the special character is turned into an html entity by the forum software.

The html entity (in your case, &) is visible in the title field of the page when the post is being edited (even if it's usually overlooked). If the entity is deleted at that point and the special character is retyped, then the title will appear as expected when the edited post is published.

Jun 1, 2011 11:31 PM in response to Tuttle

Tuttle wrote:

In my experience, using special characters in titles is okay until the topic post (OP) is edited. At that point, the special character is turned into an html entity by the forum software.

The html entity (in your case, &) is visible in the title field of the page when the post is being edited (even if it's usually overlooked). If the entity is deleted at that point and the special character is retyped, then the title will appear as expected when the edited post is published.

OK, now I know. Thanks.

'Forward Slash' (/) character does not render properly in post 'titles'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.