Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move your iphoto library?

Thought it was saving to my TC but instead is saving it to my hard drive. Tried to move it and received an error

"The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “iPhoto Library” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)"

Looked at the Apple docs and it simply says to drag it, but as I stated above it came back with an error.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

I have the latest version of iphoto (11 version 9.1.3 (607)).

Thanks all as always for the help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MacBookPro3,1/2.4 GHz

Posted on May 28, 2011 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2011 3:16 AM

The TC (that's the Time Capsule, right?) isn't really an appropriate environment for the Library, Time Machine doesn't like to share that space with anything else and you could run into problems. Also, if it's a wireless connection to the TC you are inviting trouble.If you're trying to edit the Library (that is, make albums, move photos around, keyword, make books or slideshows etc.) or edit individual photos in it via Wireless be very careful. Dropouts are a common fact of wireless networking, and should one occur while the app is writing to the database then your Library will be damaged. Simply, I would not do this with my Libraries.

Any USB or FireWire disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is suitable for holding the Library.

The -36 error is a i/o one and occurs when the Finder comes upon a file it can't copy. This may be because the file has incorrect permissions or is actually damaged. Let's hope for the easy one:

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair Library permissions.

Regards

TD

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2011 3:16 AM in response to sam jones

The TC (that's the Time Capsule, right?) isn't really an appropriate environment for the Library, Time Machine doesn't like to share that space with anything else and you could run into problems. Also, if it's a wireless connection to the TC you are inviting trouble.If you're trying to edit the Library (that is, make albums, move photos around, keyword, make books or slideshows etc.) or edit individual photos in it via Wireless be very careful. Dropouts are a common fact of wireless networking, and should one occur while the app is writing to the database then your Library will be damaged. Simply, I would not do this with my Libraries.

Any USB or FireWire disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is suitable for holding the Library.

The -36 error is a i/o one and occurs when the Finder comes upon a file it can't copy. This may be because the file has incorrect permissions or is actually damaged. Let's hope for the easy one:

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair Library permissions.

Regards

TD

Jun 1, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry to revive an old one, but I have a similar problem.

My library has got to 181gb, and so my 2011 500gb macbookpro is struggling now.
I bought some external hard drives (WD My Book for Mac) and intended to use one for the iPhoto library, and another to back that up to. I already have a third which does the regular back up for the laptop.

Anyway, upon attempting a transfer, I had exactly the same message as Sam back in 2011, and have followed TD's advice above, except I didn't know which of the 6 options to use.

So I ticked the first, and left it to work away.

That completed, I ticked the next three options and left it - came back and "iPhoto had quit unexpectedly" - I guess I asked too much of it to do them all together.

So I've gone through options 2,3, and 4 individually. 4 (upgrading thumbnails) took around 9 hours.

I deleted the 53gb library that had moved to the EHD and emptied the trash on it, and tried another transfer.

But I still got the error code 36 message.

On the EHD, 181gb was showing in the finder window, and the EHD worked away when the library was opened, but no thumbnails or pictures were viewable, and after a refresh of the finder window, only 54 gb was actually there.

So, any suggestions?

Should I try to split the library into smaller chunks? (if I can?)

I will try option 5 in the rebuild menu, then option 6. Will update if this has any effect.

Regards, YDG.

Jun 1, 2015 6:10 AM in response to 47616

That 36 error can be a glitchy file permission or a damaged file, or even a glitch on the HD. I would suggest that you use a back up utility to move the library - in essence, back it up to the new location. The back up utility will probably take care of the glitches for you along the way. Any app that stores the data in the same format (so that rules out Time Machine) will do. Chronosync is one such, but there are others.

http://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/current.html

Jun 1, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks TD & OT for your replies.
Yes, I'd read about the correct formatting in other threads, and can confirm that was correct before I started.

I have done option 5 and 6 of the "rebuild" menu, but I expect TD is right, I shall have to buy some other software to manage this situation.

Shame, I only got a Mac as they were supposed to be so wonderful, but it's not been the experience I'd hoped for.

But it certainly doesn't crash or go slow like my old pc used to, so I suppose I shouldn't complain!

Thanks again for your help chaps.

Aug 18, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi TD, OT, LH, Léonie

I also want to free up space on MacBP 250gb internal HD ahead of big trip overseas.

I am leaving a TimeMachine backup EHD at home

I have started backing up iPhoto Library (96gb) daily from Mac to 1 TB LACIE (bootable) EHD, and hourly backups of whole HD, using CCC

If I now delete iPhotolibrary on Mac do I first switch off the cloninf schedule - otherwise will it back up an empty iPhoto library? sorry to be thick.

Am also wondering whether using a 128GB SDXC as a back-up of the iPhotos from EITHER LACIE or iPhoto direct whilst abroad a sensible and cost-effective step?

Regards

PS am on iPhoto 9.6.1 and have iPhoto Manager too

Aug 18, 2015 10:16 AM in response to PFJ30

If I now delete iPhotolibrary on Mac do I first switch off the cloninf schedule - otherwise will it back up an empty iPhoto library? sorry to be thick.

I would think that is correct. If you delete the iPhoto Library from your boot drive the clone app will delete it form the cloned drive during it clone update process. That is unless there's an option to keep files on the clone that were once on the boot drive but are now gone.

If you don't turn off Time Machine while you're traveling it will make local snapshots of your drive during that time. It can take up some space but is supposed to free it up is you need it. If you Turn off TM and then disconnect the TM drive and leave TM off, there will be no local snapshots taken.

Aug 20, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Old Toad

OK after further thought...

Leaving my current TM backup drive at home is part of the disaster recovery plan but I realise I hadn't thought of how to use TM whilst travelling, which by default I guess I should...

TD writes above that TM doesn't like to share its (TC) backup HD with anything else, in particular not iPhoto library back-ups. Does that apply to using the LACIE 1t portable for both TM and CCC back ups? If so, I could put my ex- internal HD in a case and take that for TMs on the road but as we are driving 5,000 miles not sure how sensible that is. That's why I bought the LACIE...

BUT because I will be CCC backing up the whole HD hourly incl iPhotos library (and TM backups up until the say I leave) and the iPhotos library daily separately but to the same ext HDD (LACIE) perhaps its not such a risk not to have TM running? I have after all never had to use TM to restore anything. I could also back up my entire iPhoto libray to a SDXC card as a 3rd backup (on 2 devices) whilst on the road.

Your ever-welcome advice gratefully awaited

PJ

Aug 27, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks TD

As I am leaving a cloned bootable copy of HDD with friend in UK I have decided to also travel with the G Tech EDD I use for TM so I will have both LACIE for CCC backups and GTECH for TM backups. Was worried about taking the desktop GT with me as I will be in an RV but we will be stationary and on a tabletop when I use it so no more risk of dropping it etc than at home I guess.

Have moved existing iPhoto Library to USB stick too. Will use a new USA Road Trip library.

Getting excited!

P

How to move your iphoto library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.