Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 6th generation ipod nano volume adjusts itself and turns down volume without me touching it. This is the second ipod on which this has happened. I can't be the only one with this problem. Help!

My ipod nano 6th generation has started changing the volume while music is playing. It doesn't matter whether I am running or sitting. It will turn volume down to zero in the middle of a song. This happened on my last ipod a few months ago and I returned it and got a new one. This is my second grey one. I don't want to have to return it again, but I might.

iPod nano, Windows Vista

Posted on May 28, 2011 8:04 AM

8 replies

Jun 1, 2011 3:30 PM in response to SarahAE

This sounds like a wetness issue.

If you have the headset where there are controls on the wire, if moisture gets inside there, you can see the nano act as if those buttons are getting pushed. The moisture completes the circuit that is normally completed only when you push the button. The result can be volume going up or down, the nano speaking tracks, skipping a song. Any commands you can do withe the headset buttons can get caused by moisture in the headset.

The other place this can happen is when moisture gets into the buttons actually on the nano. This is much worse, because the moisture is not inside your nano, not just inside your headset buttons. This can cause all kinds of strange behavior and it can kill your ipod. Water and electronics don't mix well!

If you don't have a headset with button controls on the wire, then you can be pretty sure that some moisture has gotten inside your nano. You will want to put it to sleep and let it dry out to prevent more damage.

If this is happening because you are sweating on it, you will want to figure out a place to wear the nano where you will likely sweat on it less. In my case, I stopped wearing it on my waist and started wearing it attached to the bottom of my shirt or sometimes clipped to my collar.

i

Sep 21, 2012 5:43 PM in response to iPod Whisperer

OMG!!!!! Is that it? I am on my FOURTH nano, all replaced with either the apple warrenty or the Best Buy black tie protetion!!! Whenever I called Apple to report this problem they always said they never heard of this happening. I was always shocked and didn't believe them- I mean how could this be happening to me and only me?! I searched for help and always came up with nothing! Finally I found people with the same issue! I do have a question about it: if it starts happening, will it always happen and will I have to replace it? Or if I let it dry and never get it wet will it be ok? I suspected it might be due to my sweat during runs. I have spent almost $1000 dollars between my four nanos and the Best Buy protection plans. Outrageous!!!! And the people at apple were of no help, other than to replace it once. I am grateful for this message board! I was starting to think I was possessed!!!!!!! Also, my nano shuts down automatically several times during a run. I'm thinking this is due to the same issue?

Oct 3, 2012 3:10 PM in response to slattfri

this is happening to my ipod nano too (6th gen), has happen on and off, but now more frequently. It dosen't have to do with the sweat during workout b/c it happen today when i am just turning it on to begin work out..I had my old ipod for years and this never happened to that one, and i have ipod touches and it doen't happen to those, I am wondering if there is a defect with the nano 6th gen ipods....

My 6th generation ipod nano volume adjusts itself and turns down volume without me touching it. This is the second ipod on which this has happened. I can't be the only one with this problem. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.