Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forum Display

When I access this forum using the iPad, the toolbar with fonts, font characteristics, paragraph format, insert image, link, emoticon etc. appears for maybe a half-second and then disappears. Is that normal or is there something that I'm doing wrong?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPad-1 IOS 4.3

Posted on May 28, 2011 11:28 AM

29 replies

May 28, 2011 11:33 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Also, there's no message "Edit" button and I just noticed that "Edit" is gone from my Mac.

This is weird. I'm using my Mac right now. I'm unable to edit the original post but I can edit this response. I'm using Safari but, as I recall, Edit worked with the original post when I used Firefox.

I'm wondering if this is a Safari issue (both on the Mac and on the iPad) rather than an OS/IOS issue.

Message was edited by: Philly_Phan

May 28, 2011 11:42 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Nope. I tried Firefox and the Edit button is not there. However, the original post CAN be edited with the "Edit Discussion" link above and to the right of the messages. The "Edit Discussion" link is present with both Mac Firefox AND Safari but not on the iPad Safari.

May 28, 2011 11:41 AM in response to Philly_Phan

AFAIK, we can't edit when posting from an iPad. It *****, really. 😟

I'm almost always posting from my iPad, so I can't recall exactly, but doesn't the edit post function (when posting from a computer) have a time limit? I view the forums on Safari on my laptop. (As I'm currently doing. I'll check to see if I have any issues editing this post.)

I could maybe live without editing if I didn't have to sign into the forums almost every single time I access them, even if my browser or tab remains open. It's annoying and just so rinky-**** for a support forum.'

ETA: Hee . . . I can understand s**ks being edited out but the other half of rinky-d*nk???

May 28, 2011 11:44 AM in response to Elizabeth Ingraham

Elizabeth Ingraham wrote:

I'm almost always posting from my iPad, so I can't recall exactly, but doesn't the edit post function (when posting from a computer) have a time limit?

There is a time limit. I think that it's around two or three minutes.

Even when using a computer, it's weird that you edit the original post with one mechanism and all subsequent posts with a different mechanism.

May 28, 2011 12:02 PM in response to Elizabeth Ingraham

There is a 15 minute time limit to edit your post - on a computer - I'm pretty sure. I use Safari and iCab on my iPad and if I walk away from the iPad or the computer for longer than 10 minutes or so, I have to sign back in - no matter what browser or device I use.

That is a relatively new annoying feature that The site designers must have implemented because I used to be able to stay signed in all night. I could go to bed, leave the iPad or computer signed into this site, and be able to pick up where I left off. Now I feel like I'm signing in every 10 minutes.

May 28, 2011 12:10 PM in response to Demo

I've sent feedback to Apple about it. It was particularly annoying before the last upgrade when it would send me to a "page not found" page on my iPad after signing in!

We're not talking about internet banking, here, and I see no reason that we couldn't have a "reasonable" period of time to remain signed in--say, a few days to a couple of weeks, a la Television Without Pity's forums? (Not that I'm comparing these professional support forums to forums whose sole purpose is to rant, rave and snark about television shows, but those are popular forums with a lot of traffic. 😊 )

May 28, 2011 12:10 PM in response to Elizabeth Ingraham

Elizabeth Ingraham wrote:

Also good to know (about Atomic Web) but I just don't want to give up my Safari bookmarks syncing via MobileMe. Curses!

Do other iPad browsers also require constant signing in to the forums?

I'm thinking about downloading Atomic and using it only for this forum. I'll keep Safari for everything else. Interesting that Safari works fine for everything except the Apple forum!

Forum Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.