Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off mouse & keyboard

I would like to know if there would be battery consumption on the wireless mouse & keyboard when the Imac is turned off.I see an off switch on the mouse & I do turn it to off.Not sure how to turn off the keyboard though,Will battery still be used when Mac is turned off?

Imac

Posted on May 28, 2011 6:09 PM

5 replies

May 28, 2011 10:52 PM in response to Ministrel

If you do need to turn the keyboard off, the right-hand end of the top tube part of the keyboard (acts as its riser in the back) is the on-off button. Press the button until you get the on-screen diconnect notice (or until the indicator light on the keyboard flashes a few times).

Initially I would turn off the keyboard and mouse overnight, and perhaps during the day when I was not going to be using the Mac for many hours. After a month I got tired of doing that, and started to leave them on.

I've had this machine about 3 months now, and the battery level for the keyboard is still showing 100%. However, I've had to change the batteries in the mouse about a month ago, and it's now reporting 50%.

Even though I tend to do more mousing than keyboarding, this disparity in rate of consumption seems a bit much. I've been considering getting one of those non-contact recharger thingies - you put special batteries in the mouse, then place the mouse on top of a pad-like device when you're not using it and the batteries are 'magically' recharged.

Apple suggests not turning the iMac off unless you are going to be away from it for several days.

May 29, 2011 3:09 AM in response to Don Archibald

Hi Don! 🙂

A couple of "bits" of information:

I've had this machine about 3 months now, and the battery level for the keyboard is still showing 100%. However, I've had to change the batteries in the mouse about a month ago, and it's now reporting 50%.

This is a problem (incorrect battery readings) that apparently started with OS X 10.6.7. The readings are consistently high. The problem has been reported and the "powers that be" are aware of the issue. I suspect a future release will take care of the incorrect reading issue. In the meantime, the "mighty monitor" widget that runs under Dashboard seems to have correct readings.

I have been using rechargeable batteries and a 15 minute charger (all obtained on eBay new at a reasonable price). I happen to be using Energizers (2450 mAh). Although the batteries do not last as long as Lithium batteries, the cost is less over a period of time. Rechargeables also are "feel good" as they are environmentally friendly.

Regards,

Barry

P.S. My mighty mouse does require batteries more often than my keyboard, although I suspect it is because I use the mouse a lot as I type VERY slowly.

😀

Turning off mouse & keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.