Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to boot from restore disc causes kernel panic error

Hi I am currently selling my MacBook Pro that is 6 months old. I wanted to pop in the restore disc today and format the drive and install Snow Leopard for the new owner. When I put in the restore disc that came with the computer it begins the boot process(I can here it spinning up) but then I get a kernel panic error. I have tried testing the ram and putting in different ram but still get the same error every time. I haven't done anything to the hardware and have no issues with the dvd drive previously. I have confirmed this indeed the disc that was shipped with the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 28, 2011 8:16 PM

14 replies

May 29, 2011 8:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc, I had an old Leopard retail install disc as wel so I popped that in this morning to see if it would boot from that but it does the same thing. I tried holding the option key down when the computer first boots and it then gives me the option to either boot from the HD or the Opitcal drive so I selected the optical drive. It proceeds but I never get the GUI the screen goes grey and displays the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds. or press the Restart button" in multiple languages.

Does this mean I have a hardware issue? I have 6 months left on my warranty but am out of AppleCare support so I assume the hardware repair would be covered but would they need to charge me to determine the exact cause?

Thanks

May 29, 2011 4:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Ok so the new MacBook I received (refurbished store) came with a reinstall Mac OS X disc on it though it says Mac OS X 10.6.7 whereas the one I received with my previous MacBooks says 10.6. For the **** of it I popped in the 10.6.7 disc and it booted up to the GUI to reinstall. Thinking that maybe it was just an intermitent hardware issue I tried that 10.6 disc that came with it originally and it gave me the panic kernel error screen. So now I'm thinking it's the disc. Shouldn't my previous macbook have come with a specific version of OS X other than 10.6?

May 29, 2011 4:53 PM in response to chrismccreery

It came with whatever version of the OS was current at the time the product design was finalized. Really, I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. There is no magic that will make your MBP boot from that disc. If you think the disc is bad, and it may be, you can order a replacement, or take it to an Apple Store and have them test it. Since it's under warranty, having it checked out will cost you nothing other than time, and it will give you some assurance that you're not selling a defective item.

Any intelligent person who wanted to buy a used Mac from a private seller would ask to see it boot from the hardware test disc. Since yours can't do that, according to what you've said, the deal would be off.

Trying to boot from restore disc causes kernel panic error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.