Skip navigation

Every Other File Unreadable on Export.

366 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 2:33 PM by legolas-woodelf RSS
legolas-woodelf Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
May 29, 2011 1:52 AM

Whenever I try to export photos from iPhoto to a Flash Drive to use on my TV, digital photo frame or friend's Windows computer, iPhoto seems to export two files for each photo - one is the normal photo file and one seems to be some sort of copy of it with the prefix  ._  before each filename. Obviously these additional files can't be read by TVs or photo frames, meaning that when I view a slideshow on these other devices, every other photo comes up as an unreadable file error message.

Yet if I put the Flash Drive back in the Mac, these other files can't be seen and therefore can't be deleted.

The Flash Drive has been formatted as a FAT32 disk in order to try and make sure it's compatible.

Anyone know what this second file is for and how to get around this problem.

My Mac is a 17" iMac - PowerPC G4 - 1.25 GHz - 768 MB RAM - running 10.5.8.

iPhoto is iPhoto 4.0.3.

P.S. I realise it's an ancient iPhoto version I'm using, but I did upgrade to iPhoto 6 a while back, but was disappointed with the Slideshow features compared to version 4 so I Time Machined back.

(This thread has the details of those issues, though I got no replies):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2631510?threadID=2631510&tstart=0

Any thoughts or advice on my current problem most gratefully received.

Mac OS X (10.5.8), 17" iMac PPC G4 1.25 GHz 10.5.8
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,670 points)
    May 29, 2011 2:23 AM (in response to legolas-woodelf)

What you're seeing is the Resource Fork of the file. The FAT on Windows doesn't understand it and it shows as this apparent second file.

http://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/resource%20fork

Lists many of the apps and utilities that you can use to strip these from the files.

Regards

TD

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,670 points)
    May 29, 2011 2:58 PM (in response to legolas-woodelf)

No, Resource Forks and ds_store files are not the same thing.

Resource forks are part of the actual file. Ds_store files are part of the folders that contain the files.

I have used both Blue Harvest and the Grim Ripper (see link above) with success.

Regards

TD

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.