Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro: damaging earphones?

Hello everyone,

I have had my macbook pro for about 8 months now, and last week, one of the ears in my pair of earphones stopped working while plugged into the laptop (I can provide further details if relevant): this was a very nice and not at all cheap pair of Klipsch Image X10 earphones, which I am sad to say are not replaceable under warranty: they are a little over a year old. Anyway, I assumed at the time that this was because of the earphones, so I went out and purchased a cheapish £10 replacement pair. I have just had this pair of earphones arrive at exactly the same problem: merely 2 days after purchasing, one of the ears has stopped outputting any noise. I was listening to msuic on my macbook pro at the lowest possible volume in both cases, and it has led me to wonder: could it be my macbook doing this?

I had to have part of the laptop replaced around a month after my purchase (first hand): it was some problem with the motherboard which meant the camera wasn't working and neither was one of the USB ports. I haven't had any trouble since, but I am worried it is my macbook destroying my earphones and I don't want to keep going through pair after pair. Is it at all possible that something is causing the macbook to output too much to one earphone and blow the speaker or something like that? I haven't heard any noises to indicate a speaker has blown in either case: it just suddenly goes quiet in one ear. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could anyone suggest anything?

Thank you very much,

Ben

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 29, 2011 8:51 AM

1 reply

Macbook pro: damaging earphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.