Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv is not showing up in itunes

my apple tv is not showing up in itunes?

Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 29, 2011 12:22 PM

31 replies

Jun 24, 2011 3:12 PM in response to afrique0

Don't do what Jolly Giant suggested it will be a waste of your time. The documentation at that link regarding the 1st generation Apple TV's not correct. It says to look at the preferences and select the option to look for the Apple TV. That option is NOT available from the preference screen or any other screen in iTunes. The fact is that the Apple TV and iTunes communications interfacing is very very flakey. I've tried everything go get mine to work and have given up ...Nobody at Apple can help you pal. I chuckled today when I got an email of some contest that had a first prize of an Apple TV...I'm thinking to myself that second prize must be two of them.

Jul 6, 2011 1:40 PM in response to afrique0

Hi Yodrak,

The problem I had was that the ATV would not show up in the "Devices" in iTunes. The ATV would connect to my router and I could access the iTune Store ...but it just wouldn't connect to my iTunes on the home computer. The solution to my problem was a simple one. The folder on your hard drive named iTunes (it's located in your My Music folder) MUST be "shared". Once I shared that folder iTunes saw it right away. If that isn't your problem...let me know what your problem is and I'll help in any way I can. It's frustrating working with the ATV.

Jul 7, 2011 12:04 PM in response to MyTonkaToys

Thanks MTT. I've found 2 folders named iTunes (not quite where you said one would be, but anyway) and checked them to be shared. Haven't been back to iTunes to look for the ATV yet. Just getting started with this thing and time to play is short and infrequent.

My bigger problem may be convering some video files I've got (.avi and .mkv) to a format that will allow me to put them into my iTunes library, so that they can be sent to the ATV. At least I think that's the process required to show on my TV a video that's located on my iMac.

Jul 7, 2011 12:59 PM in response to afrique0

Hopefully they were the correct folders that the ATV and iTunes are looking for. Get back to me if you continue to have any problems with the connection. I spent a whole lot of time experimenting and testing to get mine going and if I can save you the frustration of the same that would be great.

Regarding video files, I'm not an expert there but boy do I know a guy who is. He has an 8TB library of video that he runs through his ATV and iTunes...he has his whole house wired. I'm sure he would be very happy to help you. If interested I will ask him and maybe the two of you could hook up for that discussion.

Jul 7, 2011 7:05 PM in response to MyTonkaToys

Well, I'm not seeing the ATV in iTunes, but I am seeing my iTunes music and movie libraries on the ATV, and I can play them on my TV, and that's what I wanted to accomplish.

The wife and I downloaded Remote to our iPhones and that's working nicely.

Haven't tried viewing my photo library on the TV via ATV yet, but so far so good!

Thanks for your help.

Jul 27, 2011 6:26 PM in response to afrique0

I had this same issue. I assume that you unplugged the Apple TV to reset it. If not try that, unplug your wireless base station if you are using one and plug back in after about 30 seconds. Additionally, if you are using a 3rd party virus program such as Intego then make sure the Apple TV IP address is not being blocked by the program. This turned out to be my problem. In my situation I simply went to the Apple TV under the network setting and copied down the IP address. Then I typed that into the "trusted list" on my Intego software on my MAC. Good luck.

I was able to still stream from MAC to the Apple TV but it stopped showing up in iTunes and I was unable to sync. As I mentioned my Intego was blocking it because it thought my PC was "under attack".

Aug 24, 2011 9:43 AM in response to Yodrak

Yodrak wrote:

I don't see my AppleTV2 in iTunes either. But then, I don't know why iTunes would want or need to see it.

The AppleTV sees my iTunes library, and sends whatever I select to my TV. That's all I need.

Exactly. Why Apple has decided to vary implimentation of AppleTV and AppleTV2 in iTunes is a mystery to me. Rather than showing up in the devices list, you have to go to the Advanced menu in iTunes to select folders for Photo streaming. Music is automatic. Would have thought including the AppleTV2 under devices would have been much clearer.

apple tv is not showing up in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.