Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop not connecting to clients...

Hello, I know that this has been asked before, but nothing seemed to work...

So, I'm trying to connect to an iMac G5 (running Leopard) from my Macbook Pro 2010 via ARD 3, but everything I try to do, it won't connect. Here's a list of things I did:

- Allow ports 3283 and 5900

- Enable Remote Management (in System Preferences > Sharing) on client computer and enabled "controlling, etc."

- Tried multiple IP addresses to connect (i.e. 192.168.... and 174.119....)

I think the problem might have something to do with the User Name and Password that I have to type in before connecting to a client. What User Name and Password is this (client mac account? router username/password?) ?

Any other ideas that I may not have tried are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jason.

Posted on May 29, 2011 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 5:28 PM

Hi Jason,

is the G5 10.5 computer up to date? (no more software update to run)

Are both computer connect to the same ethernet switch? is airport off on both computers? on the G5, what is the IP address? (apple menu, system preferences, network, ethernet, IP address) Can you ping the iMac G5 using that IP address? (on laptop, go to dock, click on finder, go to the menu bar, click on the go menu, chose utilities, double click on Network Utility, click on ping tab, type in address, click the ping button)

Assuming you can ping the computer:

Have you tried turing the firewall off on both computers? on the G5, do you know the an admin account / password on the computer? (local admin, it can't be an account from an AD or OD) in system preferences, sharing is Remote Management Checked?

if so, have you set remote management to "only these Users"? if so is the admin account, the one that you know the user name and password to, on the list? if you click on the listed admin account, is observe computer checked? is control computer checked?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2011 5:28 PM in response to JasonSG

Hi Jason,

is the G5 10.5 computer up to date? (no more software update to run)

Are both computer connect to the same ethernet switch? is airport off on both computers? on the G5, what is the IP address? (apple menu, system preferences, network, ethernet, IP address) Can you ping the iMac G5 using that IP address? (on laptop, go to dock, click on finder, go to the menu bar, click on the go menu, chose utilities, double click on Network Utility, click on ping tab, type in address, click the ping button)

Assuming you can ping the computer:

Have you tried turing the firewall off on both computers? on the G5, do you know the an admin account / password on the computer? (local admin, it can't be an account from an AD or OD) in system preferences, sharing is Remote Management Checked?

if so, have you set remote management to "only these Users"? if so is the admin account, the one that you know the user name and password to, on the list? if you click on the listed admin account, is observe computer checked? is control computer checked?

Jun 1, 2011 5:48 PM in response to TeenTitan

Hey, I'm trying to do this through the internet (from home to my store). I want to use ARD as an employee monitoring program, since I like all the features about it. I think the G5 is up to date (I will double check), and I did most things you suggested. There's a few things that you have suggested that I have not tried yet. I will try these this weekend when I have time..

Thanks for your helpful reply! 🙂 I'll let you know what happens...

Jun 2, 2011 3:15 PM in response to M@CMAN2011

I tried about five different IP addresses (just for fun), including the VPN one. Under "Current Status," 4 out of the five say Offline, but 1 of them says Unknown. Know what I mean? The computer IS online, not offline. So I don't know if it's partially working..?

When I have to enter the Username and Password, is this the username and password for the account on the work computer or the router?

Sorry if this sounds confusing.. I don't know of any other way to explain this...

Jun 3, 2011 1:09 AM in response to JasonSG

Hi Jason,

It is often difficult to explain a problem, so don't worry. Let's break it down.

Firstly, does ARD work when you are at your place of work? - can you control a mac?

If so, this is good.

Ok, from work you need to access your router and find your public IP address, you only have one. You will often find this is the status page.

The IP is usually a class A address starting with 80 or 90, but this obviously isn't always so, depending on your ISP and region. make sure you are not using the router's local lan IP! You will also need to make sure your home router is allowing ARD ports through!

You now need to port forward the ARD ports to the mac you want to control, which I believe you have done. For example, port 3283 > IP address of remote mac.

I know when I did this, I just opened up all ports for a couple of minutes just to get it working, then I locked access down. If you havn't done so then you need to enable remote management on your work router so you can configure it at home.

On your mac at 'home' open ARD, and go to file> add by address and enter the PUBLIC IP address. You will also need to enter the admin user name and password for the said mac.

That's it, you should have control.

If your macs at work and home have a firewall enabled then you will need to update your rules.

Good luck!

Apple Remote Desktop not connecting to clients...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.