Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMCFancontrol

is this app a good idea? will it help my macbook pro

MacBook Pro, apps

Posted on May 29, 2011 1:02 PM

8 replies

May 29, 2011 1:07 PM in response to benjarny

Ben

Personally I would not install the app. It is best to let your MacOSX control the fans. With SMC you're probably going to be dealing with fan noise, and having them ramp up when it's not needed. Just make sure you're not obstructing the venilation area of your MBP and the fans will work properly. Are you running programs that you feel you need to have control over your fan speed? heavy grahics? photo editing? gaming?

Joseph

May 29, 2011 1:38 PM in response to benjarny

I use smcFanControl on all my Mac's.

By setting the minimum fan speed higher than the Apple default (the only way it works) it keeps the machines a lot cooler, the bottom doesn't get red hot, the fans don't kick into "turbo mode" as often, in fact rarely.

The "turbo mode" is where you notice the fan noise most, it's because of the gobs of thermal paste Foxconn is slapping on these things causing the CPU's to overheat.

Setting the minimum fan speed higher keeps the CPU cooler and takes longer to reach the audioable levels.

With smcFanControl one can increase the minimal fan speeds BELOW the audio level with the slider.

I've got a 3 year old Intel Core 2 Duo I'm messing around with, I reinstalled the OS and forgot to install the smcFanControl, was doing some Cinebench tests on it, then I moved the machine to my lap.

Well, lets say there's a nice red spot there now. 🙂

benjarny,

you don't have to worry about overheating your Mac playing games, the computer has built in controls to hobble the processor from whatever your doing to it to make it overheat.

Some simple rules is to always use electronic equipment in dust/dirt free environments below 80º F and drop the room temperature more and more the harder you work the machines and have more of them as they produce heat.

So a single computer shouldn't be in a room above 80º F and 3D gaming, drop the room temp down to 78º F or something. You'll never hear the fans.

play games enjoy your machine!

Here is a FREE 3D GAME!! Enjoy!

http://sauerbraten.org/

Aug 6, 2011 6:51 PM in response to benjarny

YES! Installing this app is a nobrainer. Those who complain about the noise, well I think they will complain much louder when their mac dosn't last as long as it should. Heat is a macs worst enemy, my mac runs up to 50 degrees cooler under heavy work loads. Great app, and know I don't work for them. lol.

Nov 14, 2012 3:35 PM in response to jawsintel

I'm regretting installing it. I was tired of my fans making my MBP sound like a jet engine during photo exports so I got the program to help. I set it to 4500 rpm during a particularly hot run and now I can't lower the speed. It keeps telling me that anything lower than 4500 is invalid & below the default fan speed. Wish I knew how to fix it to go back to normal. The developer website said that the settings reset themselves after every full shutdown/reboot cycle. My MBP was shut off for the last two days and as soon as it started up, SMC Fan Control started along with it at 4500....

Feb 3, 2014 1:44 PM in response to benjarny

i used to like smc, but not really anymore. the temp guage on it is completely inaccurate. it continually says my computer is running hotter than it actually itself, thus making me freak out unnecessarily.... :-\

i now use another app to monitor my temp, its accurate (smc can be off by as much as 30-40 degrees a times!), and im now not freaking out, lol....

SMCFancontrol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.