Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 11 DOES NOT save edits and you cannot export them

I have seen numerous posts regarding the inability to export or save photo edits on iPhoto 11. The same people keep recommending the same solutions in these posts, but those solutions do not work. It may be that this problem is limited to Macbook Air laptops or something like that but the solutions that are provided do not discuss the type of Mac being used, etc. Simply put, this problem is widespread and no workable solution has been suggested. Any new ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 29, 2011 9:40 PM

88 replies

May 29, 2011 10:17 PM in response to ces161616

Any (even minimal) information would be appriciated

iPhoto does save edits and you can export them and it does work on the MBA - and there is no widespread problem with iPhoto '11

So more than "It does not work" and "I've tried everything" would be helpful to trying to give you ideas on how to solve your unique problem

LN

May 29, 2011 10:37 PM in response to LarryHN

I appreciate the response but the problem is not unique - instead a quick search on this discussion board and on other Mac discussion boards reveals that the problem is widespread. Not one of the individuals who shared the problem on this board indicated that the problem was ever resolved.

The problem again is that with iPhoto 11, edits to a photo disappear when the edit button is unclicked. Even when the edit button is clicked, the exported version of that photo never includes the edits and is only the original version of the photo. In other words, you cannot export an edited version of a photo. I do not know if this problem is unique to a particular type of Mac but it is not unique. Cheers.

May 29, 2011 11:03 PM in response to ces161616

Something else I just realized . . . some of the edit functions such as Fix Red Eye, Straighten, Crop, etc. have a "done" button. If you edit the photo and click done, then iPhoto saves that change and it will export the edited photo with that change. The edit functions under the adjust button such as saturation, sharpness and de-noise do not have a done button and those edits are not saved and will not export.

Jul 10, 2011 8:56 PM in response to denniscorei7

Sorry I jumped the gun... iphoto still doesn't save any edits if you use de noise or sharpness. The only way to actually save an Edited " Denoise/sharpness" picture is to take a picture of it once your in the EDIT/ADJUST view of the photo. Once you've made the denoise/sharpness edit simply just hold down Command, shift, 4. Then resize the photo and it will automatically send it to your desktop as a screen shot w/ the edited version! From there you can Drag it back into iphoto. It's a tedious process but will have to do for now until they can come up w/ a fix .

Sep 15, 2011 9:44 AM in response to ces161616

I am having this problem too. It started with the iPhoto 9 that came installed on my MacBook 13.

It worked fine at first then after a few Apple recomended updates it quit working. Adustments like noise reduction and sharpness don't save. However when I go to re-edit it shows all my edits again.

Spent all day on the phone and trying to do everthing tech support told me to but no resolve. I have rebuilt the library, reset permissions, rebuilt thumbnails, uninstalled, reinstalled and more. I have built a test library, imported new photos and more. I have looked on line and no where do I see anyone posting that they got resolution to the problem. I see posts that date back as far as 2007 that describe the same issue, over and over. I even saw one post that described the same problem on 4 different Macs with different OS's. This leads me to believe it is a widespread problem.

I was even talked into buying the newest version of iphoto from the App Store. (iphoto '11 version 9.1.5 (615). I purchased, installed via internet download, then updated RAW Camera compatibility.

Still the same problem exists. So after $15.00 and loads of wasted time I am where I started, just with less money and more frustrated. 😟

I do not want to go thru the tedious process described above, nor resize my photos. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar today. I have to drive two and a half hours to get there, and this is the closest one to me. I certainly hope this is not a hoax and that they can help me. Hope today is not another wasted day.

Sep 15, 2011 11:44 PM in response to ces161616

Well I guess no one is following this thread anymore but I will post this anyway. After no resolve yesterday I made an appointment with the Genius Bar at the closest Apple Store I could find, which is 2 and 1/2 hours away from me. (as I mentioned above)

When I got there the techs acted as if they had never heard of anyone else having this problem. I explained it then showed them exactly what was happening. They tried several of the things mentioned above, plus hooked my computer to something to determine if the computer and hard drive were healthy otherwise. Everything checked out, so I was told the only thing left to do was uninstall my operating system and then reinstall everything, and start from scratch. YES, WIPE OUT EVERYTHING AND START OVER!!!

I agreed to this and left my MacBook and external hard drive with them. Came back and opened the iPhoto, created a brand new library, imported a brand new set of pics, and SAME PROBLEM!!!

The tech. said he didn't know what to do but wanted to try importing a pic to the MacBook he was using at the Genius Bar, and see what his iPhoto did. Sure enough, SAME PROBLEM!!!

SO... END RESULT IS: USE ANOTHER PROGRAM TO EDIT YOUR PICTURES BECAUSE IPHOTO DOESN'T WORK RIGHT.

Straight from the techs mouth, from behind the Genius Bar ...

"This problem appears to be unfixable. This is not going to be resolved. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's it."

This really makes me mad, because from what I can see on the net, plenty of peeps are having the exact same problem and yet Apple support actually asked me to purchase an new upgraded version, and suggested I install it, knowing full well that this is an ongoing problem, and that it wasn't going to help me. NOT HAPPY!!! 😟

Sep 16, 2011 12:52 AM in response to ces161616

Lrt505, i got a notification that there was a reply to this post the other day and read your concern. I also tried to trouble shoot the problem w/no luck as u can see from my postings. I went to several different apple stores to see if there was any techs out there that might know if there was a fix. Apparentlly, most of them didn't even know that there was an issue w/iphoto until I showed them exactly what Iphoto wasn't doing.

I bought A new Imac 3.4ghz Core I7 along w/ a mac book pro core I5, and my brother in law also bought a mac book pro core I5. All three new & current macs, along w/ all the macs I personally tested inside the Different APPLe stores I visited had the same issue. So I concluded it had to be some type of software program issue. I did not reply to your post because I was hoping that maybe when you came back from visiting the Genuis Bar one of the Techs would have came up w/a fix since its been a few months since I checked. I guess not. But, as u can see from my post u can still save the edited Denoise version of your pic by taking a screen shot of it. It might take a few extra steps but at least u can actually save the " Denoised " version of your photo.

@ Terence... r u saying that u know of people that don't have this problem w/ the Latest version of IPHOTO???

iPhoto 11 DOES NOT save edits and you cannot export them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.