Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

qt won't play .mpg - long load time for .wmv

2 questions about qt:

1) why won't qt play .mpg files when VLC plays them with no problems?

2) why does it take sooooo long for qt to load a .wmv file (I assume it's using flip4mac) when VLC loads it almost instantaneously?

thanks.

btw, using latest version of qt (10.0) on the latest version of Mac OSX (10.6.7)

Posted on May 29, 2011 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2011 5:24 AM

While the MPG file extension is normally associated with multiplexed MPEG-1 video content on a Mac, this is not true for other platform users. For instance, the file may alternately contain anything from a simple MP3 audio stream to multiplexed MPEG-2 video or even AVCHD with AC3 audio. So in order to answer your question specifically, you need to tell us what specific form of compressed data is contained within the file. Basically, VLC provides its own built-in codec support which does not rely on your Mac component configuration while basic Mac support is limited to "playback only" compatibility of "muxed" MPEG-1 video with layer layer 1 or layer 2 audio unless you purchase/install specific additional component support like the Apple MPEG-2 Playback video only component and even then you would have to use a secondary application like MPEG Streamclip to to handle/bridge the synchronization of several audio formats.

2) why does it take sooooo long for qt to load a .wmv file (I assume it's using flip4mac) when VLC loads it almost instantaneously?

VLC plays the WMV data directly "on the fly" while the Flip4Mac component must read the entire file and cache the partially decoded data for direct playback by the QT player. You can avoid this delay by simply saving the partially expanded file data to an MOV file container using the "Save/Save As..." option. The resulting MOV file, however, will be much larger than the original WMV file.

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2011 5:24 AM in response to E. Kennedy

While the MPG file extension is normally associated with multiplexed MPEG-1 video content on a Mac, this is not true for other platform users. For instance, the file may alternately contain anything from a simple MP3 audio stream to multiplexed MPEG-2 video or even AVCHD with AC3 audio. So in order to answer your question specifically, you need to tell us what specific form of compressed data is contained within the file. Basically, VLC provides its own built-in codec support which does not rely on your Mac component configuration while basic Mac support is limited to "playback only" compatibility of "muxed" MPEG-1 video with layer layer 1 or layer 2 audio unless you purchase/install specific additional component support like the Apple MPEG-2 Playback video only component and even then you would have to use a secondary application like MPEG Streamclip to to handle/bridge the synchronization of several audio formats.

VLC plays the WMV data directly "on the fly" while the Flip4Mac component must read the entire file and cache the partially decoded data for direct playback by the QT player. You can avoid this delay by simply saving the partially expanded file data to an MOV file container using the "Save/Save As..." option. The resulting MOV file, however, will be much larger than the original WMV file.

User uploaded file

May 30, 2011 10:54 AM in response to Jon Walker

thanks for the help...not that I understand it 😉 lol

as for converting .wmv into .mov, I think I'll just use VLC and save the hassle 🙂

as for the .mpg question/answer, I'm attaching a screen capture of the info panel (with identifying info removed, but I think it has the necessary info to determine what type of file it is.) Hope this will help. Btw, it's a video file, but I guess you can tell from the info panel 😉 lol

thanks, again.

User uploaded file

May 30, 2011 11:48 AM in response to E. Kennedy

User uploaded file

Yep. That's the problem. Neither MPEG-2 video nor AC3 audio are natively QT compatible. You can purchase the Apple QT MPEG-2 video playback component at the Apple Store for $19.99 but QT does not have a core audio passthrough capability like VLC. Personally, if the audio is DD5.1 and you have a decoder attached to your computer optical output, I would stick with VLC playback here also unless your want to convert the file for TV 6-ch playback. (I use HandBrake to create H.264/AAC(stereo)/AC3(DD5.1) files that are playback compatible both with computer and TV devices but most users tend to prefer a non-conversion work flow.) Otherwise, the easiest playback options usually auto-convert the 5.1 audio to stereo for system level playback on most Mac platforms.

User uploaded file

May 31, 2011 4:45 PM in response to Jon Walker

okay...guess that answers my question...thanks!

thought it said somewhere on the QT site that it played .mpg files, but I guess they should have been more specific and said that not ALL .mpg files could be played by qt 😟 so guess I'll stick with VLC rather than spend the $20 to add that component when VLC is free 😉

thanks for the help & detailed explanation! 😀

qt won't play .mpg - long load time for .wmv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.