Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to run Boot Camp, it gives me an error message?

I run an intel-based Macbook Pro. It's from the late 2008 release, and I updated it to Mac OSX 10.6.7 recently. I want to run Windows 7 on it, but I cant, because every time I try to run it, It says the same thing. "Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." When I go to Disk utility, it shows that there is only one drive from my hard drive, so that can't be the problem. I need some help, but keep in mind that I'm not very experienced with this, and I need help from a mac guru. I don't want to risk losing my data, but I already have all my data backed up onto an external hard drive.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 30, 2011 12:51 AM

6 replies

May 30, 2011 3:49 AM in response to Thadenvy

I'm not a guru, but I know that the Disk Utility GUI application doesn't show everything.

Can you go to the Terminal application (which you find in the Utilities folder that is within your Application folder), enter the following command without quotes "diskutil list", press return and copy, paste and post the output here. Note that this command will do not do anything to your data.

May 30, 2011 5:33 PM in response to Thadenvy

Thadenvy wrote:

The entire message is as follows:

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

That error message shows up often and is discussed frequently in the Boot Camp forum. https://discussions.apple.com/community/windows_software/boot_camp . Do a search in the Boot Camp forum for that message and you'll get many answers.

When I try to run Boot Camp, it gives me an error message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.