Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slide Presentation Workflow Help

I need to put together a slide presentation and have not done this before.

Can anyone help with details regarding a workflow and other items?

1. For instance, can I gather up all my images in Aperture, move these in some manner that retains the resolution and put them in Keynote?

2. Is there a minimum resolution for images looking good for projection on a screen?

3. Is there a way to see this in some manner as an "actual size" or otherwise check this globally?

4. Is there a way to manually do a slideshow in Aperture instead of Keynote?

Any other technical help would be greatly appreciated.

I will be working on my MacPro where my Aperture Library resides but I will be presenting on the MacBookPro laptop.

Also, I am new to Mac.

Thanks,

Jon

macbookpro and macpro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), parallels VM

Posted on May 30, 2011 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2011 7:46 AM

I've never used Keynote, so I'll stick to your question #4...

An Aperture "slideshow" is exported as a video. Yes, you can set a style, and add titles and music, but the pace of the resulting show is set when you create the show.

Keynote produces the more typical click-the-buttone-to advance show.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2011 7:46 AM in response to hotwheels22

I've never used Keynote, so I'll stick to your question #4...

An Aperture "slideshow" is exported as a video. Yes, you can set a style, and add titles and music, but the pace of the resulting show is set when you create the show.

Keynote produces the more typical click-the-buttone-to advance show.

May 30, 2011 8:21 AM in response to hotwheels22

As I said, I've never used Keynote. If it's like the iLife programs, I expect you can browse iPhoto and Aperture libraries from within Keynote and import your choices. If that's the case, what you're importing is the Preview images from Aperture and their resolution is specified in the Aperture Preferences.

You mentioned 'projection' of your show, and the Preview settings should be checked. If you change them, you need to regenerate the JPEG preview images. 1500-2000 pixels is higher resolution than most projectors and a 'quality' of 8 is plenty for most content.

May 30, 2011 3:50 PM in response to Neil G

Hi Neil.

Thanks. I have not done this before and I must admit I am a bit freaked with the idea that I will miss a step.

Photo Preview: "Don't Limit" or "Fit within 1920 x 1920"...?

Photo Preview Quality: 8 Medium or 10 High, yes?

Also, are you indicating this applies to importing images into Keynote from the Aperture Library basically? I mean, I am in the Aperture interface and I go out and find the correct Album or Albums in Aperture?

Also, is there a way to simply export the images to a desktop folder - retain high quality and then import these png's or whatever into Keynote?

Sort of on a tight leash and a little concerned to get it moving.

Regards and thanks,

Jonathan

May 30, 2011 3:52 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank.

Thanks. I'm lost without the help.

Can you give me a couple of clues as to what I might get in Keynote that I won't get in Aperture? I've noticed both do text but I was never able to get either to do smallish text across a full slide.

Also, - can I get a presentation out of Aperture that I CAN forward /manually/? I mean, I am going to have to do this manually and I won't want to click a button and have it roll through.

Can I import an "animation" into Keynote and/or Aperture? I think I want to embed one or two animations if at all possible.

Thanks,

Jonathan

May 30, 2011 4:29 PM in response to hotwheels22

You are overthinking this...

One more time: I have NEVER used Keynote. But I think it's worth $20 for you to go the App Store and buy a copy. There are online videos that describe Keynote and the first, http://www.apple.com/iwork/tutorials/#keynote-intro shows how to create a presentation with photos (just substitute Aperture Library for iPhoto when he searches for a photo).

Back to Previews, Fit Within is fine, Quality of 8 is indistinguishable from higher quality unless you have a theater-grade projector or large expanses of subtle color shades. Skip exporting the images to a folder, PNG is no help at all here.

As has been said before, Aperture slide shows make a movie, whether you view it on a Mac (in or out of Aperture), a projector, the web, or a TV. You cannot control the pace except by pausing it. Imagine a "kiosk" where a video presentation shows with some background music.

What do you mean about including 'animations'? Aperture is designed to handle video from cameras but other sources are doubtful.

My suggestion: Create an Album of ten images you'll use. Select All and create a New Slideshow with those images. You can add some effect or text if you like. Text can be in a limited number of places or on a blank slide. You haven't told us what your audience is -- close family or critical business partners. How many images?

Next, go spend $20 on Keynote. Follow the tutorial (above) and create a few slides. Import them from the Media Browser in Keynote. The demo theme they show is pretty broad -- I think they have some more image-oriented themes, too.

May 30, 2011 6:03 PM in response to hotwheels22

To be honest I've only played around some with Keynote so apart from knowing it does presentations I can't really say more. There is a a list here devoted to just Keynote so tou may want to ask your keynote questions there Keynote

As for Aperture it can be as simple as selecting a bunch of images (anywhere in Aperture doesn't have to be in a slide show album) and hitting shift-s. When you say you want to control the slide show 'manually' do you mean having a slide up until you hit a key? If so Aperture has this. In the Slideshow presets create a new preset (cal it say manual) and in the Timing: pulldown select Manually navigate slides now if you use this preset each slide will stay up until you hit the space bar or click the mouse.

Look if you have a full presentation to do you may want to take the time to learn keynote, it can do some impressive things but if you just want to show some images to a group and you have your mac with you that would be my choice.

good luck

May 30, 2011 7:00 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank, you never cease to amaze us. :-)

Creating a quick slideshow as you suggested worked okay but is there a way to Save the show?

I dup'd the "Slow Dissolve" theme and changed it to "Manually advance slides". I selected a dozen slides but when I created a New > Slide Show, the new Theme wasn't there. Further, changing the Photo Edges theme didn't affect a new slide show with this choice didn't do the deed either. Suggestions?

May 30, 2011 7:25 PM in response to Neil G

I read some more on the topic and understand that there is a "Play Slideshow" (Shift-S) and a "New>Slideshow", which creates a "slideshow album". The former seems to have the 'manual advance' feature but I couldn't find it in the latter.

The paragraph at the bottom of page 683 of the PDF manual suggests that you may want to create two slideshows, one for a presentation and one for a Q&A session afterwards. I'm still at a loss about how to SAVE a show that you advance manually. (Yes, I know you can maneuver thru a slide show Album with the arrow and space keys, but I don't know how to restrict it from advancing on its own.)

May 30, 2011 8:10 PM in response to Neil G

Hi Neil.

This is a professional presentation in front of a room of about 300 - 500 people. I will be bringing my MacBookPro.

I need to be able to advance manually.

I have all my images organized in Aperture.

I am hoping to be able to embed an animation/video into the actual presentation.

I assume I will be exporting images out of Aperture - once I have organized them and gotten them out at full resolution so I don't have to do it all again - and then I assume I will be importing them into Keynote.

One reason I ask about exporting (other than not wanting to show half size or quarter size or thumbnail images ten feet tall) is that I personally find it more convenient to just export out of the database onto the desktop while I am looking at the images.

I have /this/ particular setting set to "png - original size".

I am hoping someone will correct me if this setting is a particularly bad idea and if anyone has any other tips I would love to get them.

THANKS!

Jon

May 30, 2011 8:15 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thank you Frank.

Not much action on the Keynote forum so this is a great help.

It is a professional presentation with text which I have to advance when I want as opposed to having it run on it's own. Also, I was hoping to embed a video or two.

Can I ask you if exporting images to the desktop as "png - original" makes sense to you in terms of retaining quality? I find this helps for when I have to edit something but also just for getting it out quick when I need to.

Then did I catch you correctly in recommending my setting Previews in Preferences to something specific for any photos that I import into Keynote directly from Aperture? If so, does Preferences > Previews "Don't Limit" and a setting of 12 guarantee I won't run into problems with this aspect?

Thanks a ton...

Jon

May 30, 2011 10:22 PM in response to hotwheels22

Why do you keep bringing up PNG? Aren't the original images JPEG? Why change them to something else? And is the projector any higher resolution than 1280x1920 (HDTV)? Exporting a Quality higher than 10 is may create a bigger file than an original JPEG. Projecting any higher is wasted and even 8 is difficult to distinguish from 10 without "pixel peeping" with a magnifier. Try a couple of images on your MacBook screen at the screen's native resolution -- can YOU tell the difference? Sooner or later the images are going to get cropped -- you ought to be worried about the projector's aspect ratio and set up your workflow for that. Do you have the correct adapter to connect the MacBook to the projector?

Sure you can Export the files to a folder and import them elsewhere. The above descriptions of the Preview images and settings apply to transfers via the iLife Media Browser but you can choose your own path. Arranging the images in Aperture, the Finder, or Keynote is up to you.

Worst case scenario: Export all your images with a leading sequence number in the file names. Open the folder of images and Select All. Use Quick Look (the spacebar) to open the files on the screen and then its features to expand to fill the screen and step thru the images.

(I've delivered presentations on screens up to and including the IMAX screen in the Air & Space Museum in Washington, DC. You seem to be obsessing about the wrong details. e.g. Do you have a second MacBook?)

May 31, 2011 7:18 AM in response to Neil G

Hi Neil.

The images are in all sorts of formats I would imagine. They are probably in psd, jpeg, tiff, png and other formats.

I was mentioning png because my understanding is that along with tiff it is a lossless format. This is good for saving images that you are editing (which I may do in this case). Perhaps I am mistaken here but this is the reason for the post.

The guy that is handling this is new in his job. So, I am trying to make sure I get this correct.

I am not sure about the question about a second macbook (perhaps I have confused you somewhere)? I have a MacPro (this is what I am working on because the APERTURE DATABASE) is on this computer. I may have to work on the presentation while on the road with the MacBookPro - but I definitely will have to give the presentation on the MacBookPro.

My assumption is that the issue here is two-fold. 1. If I need images before, during or after the presentation I will have to do some kind of access of the other images not in the presentation by booting off an external drive with the original Aperture Database. 2. As I will be (likely) both exporting the images out of Aperture /and/ transferring a Keynote (or Aperture) presentation file to another machine - I would like to know if there are any issues to be careful about. For instance, when saving to pdf for a manually forwarded presentation - one needs to check some Preference Setting to make sure that the presentation opens in full screen, otherwise it opens in preview mode.

1. Can you help with any of the above questions?

2. Is it necessary for me to bring my own connection?

3. Is it necessary for me to know the projectors aspect ration and if so for what reason?

4. Why do you suggest looking at the images on my screen to see if there is a difference between a 10 and a 12 setting? I have a 13" screen and this comparison seems like it would not hold up when projected over 30 feet or whatever.

Also, I don't understand your reference to "sooner or later the images are going to get cropped".

Have we determined that you cannot do a manually forwarded presentation in Aperture?

Thanks.

Jon

May 31, 2011 7:51 AM in response to hotwheels22

This thread is getting way to complicated . We're all here trying to help out, grabbing a few minutes here and there, and to have to read through and try and decipher these long posts is difficult. You really need to try and distill your problem and questions down to a few succinct sentences and only address a single question in each.

Anyway as for your last question

Have we determined that you cannot do a manually forwarded presentation in Aperture?

That was the whole point of my original post. Aperture can do manually controlled ad-hoc slideshows.

I tried to go through your last post and help but honestly it's just to much.

Basically if you need charts and other 'presentation' stuff in your presentation get Keynote. If you're just showing images do it in Aperture as an ad-hoc slideshow.

To connect your macbook to a TV or display you'll need a min-DVI to something cable, the something depends on what your connecting to.

good luck

Slide Presentation Workflow Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.