Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Organization Question

Hi All.

New user here.

Can anyone please give me a quick heads up on organizing photos in Aperture.

I import photos in a Project, copy them to a folder to work upon (for instance in making a slide presentation) - and is this pretty much the end of the story?

I mean, I have photos in a "sort" Project (which I guess came in from my digital camera) and I am going to move the individual photos around to an appropriately named Project (architecture, construction, portfolio or whatever) and then when I want to /copy/ the photos I move them to a folder where I can work on something such as a slide show, yes?

If I move the photos from a Project, straight into a Folder (or maybe I am doing this into an Album?) are there any consequences in terms of deleting photos being different from within an ALBUM than from within a PROJECT?

I have to find some time to read the Help very closely but I need to get this moving now and any advice would be helpful in both the short and long run.

Thanks,

Jon

Posted on May 30, 2011 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2011 8:16 AM

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2762514?answerId=13124533022#13124533022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2654297?answerId=12616449022#12616449022

As I designed my Libraries, I found it much easier once I understood that I was designing to meet two needs: storage & retrieval, and development. It is also crucial that you understand all of Aperture's containers thoroughly (much of your confusion may spring from not understanding Projects, Folders, and Albums).

I my experience, there are no shortcuts to good design. If you don't have the time to learn, stick to "One Project = One Shoot" and just create Albums for each output project (small "p") that you have. You can organize your Projects and Albums with Folders.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2011 8:16 AM in response to hotwheels22

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2762514?answerId=13124533022#13124533022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2654297?answerId=12616449022#12616449022

As I designed my Libraries, I found it much easier once I understood that I was designing to meet two needs: storage & retrieval, and development. It is also crucial that you understand all of Aperture's containers thoroughly (much of your confusion may spring from not understanding Projects, Folders, and Albums).

I my experience, there are no shortcuts to good design. If you don't have the time to learn, stick to "One Project = One Shoot" and just create Albums for each output project (small "p") that you have. You can organize your Projects and Albums with Folders.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

May 30, 2011 10:53 AM in response to hotwheels22

What Kirby said, and follow the links he listed to peruse his excellent detailed explanations.

Back up originals on external drives prior to import into Aperture or any other images app. I cannot overstate how important that is, and various manuals, texts, etc. present workflows that skip that critical step.

I strongly recommend developing a rigidly followed routine like this one:

• Create a new empty folder on a hard drive. Name the folder appropriately for the camera image files that you intend to store there. Something date-based plus a name IMO is good: e.g. "20110530_Jones_Wed_mstrs." In database nomenclature 20110530 is today. In my workflow I use "110530_1238_Jones_Wed_mstrs," where 1238 is the Job Number.

In the event of multiple different projects (small "p" as differentiated from a specific Project in Aperture) on the same camera card I break out and label the different projects during this copy-to-hard-drive-folder process.

• Copy your originals from camera card to that folder then eject but do not erase the camera card.

• Back up that folder on to another hard drive.

• Review the contents of the (identical) folders on both hard drives to see that they have all the image files copied properly.

• Reformat the camera card in-camera (never in-computer) if you will immediately be using it.

In my case I have plenty of large CF cards so I store cards in a card wallet labeled "Save cards stored face down, store cards to be Erased face up." If for some reason I have not made the requisite two different-drive copysets described above the camera card gets stored face down, and is not reused until two different-drive copysets exist.

Note that there has been no usage of Aperture or any other images management program (except the Mac OS X Finder) up to this point.

-------

Finally we involve Aperture:

You can import each folder into Aperture as a separate Aperture Project to fully stay within Aperture's natural flow. I recommend it.

Masters are your original images, never changed by Aperture. When you make edits Aperture records the changes and Master+Edits=Versions.

An Album is just a collection of pointers to Versions, so Albums can be created and discarded at will, changing nothing and taking up negligible space. Very powerful tool. Albums are often created by searching on Key Words, another very powerful tool.

Also back up the Aperture Library using Aperture's Vaults, which are designed for that purpose.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Aperture Organization Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.