Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone4 email safari crashes

Today, for no reason whenI launch either safari or email the application will crash after 1 or 2 seconds for no reason. I have power this off now numerous times and even restored factory settings with a back up, any ideas please?

Thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 30, 2011 10:40 AM

29 replies

May 31, 2011 12:58 PM in response to scottstephens1

I have had very similar experience. For no reason two days ago (may 29):

1) Safari crashes whenever launched

2) mail crashes whenever an email is opened (the inbox does not crash, just individual mails)

3) ipod app crashes when launched (but music can still play through 3rd party apps such as runkeeper)

I have soft reset, hard reset, wiped and restored, but still no love. Interestingly, sync with iTunes would crash itunes until the wipe and restore.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jun 1, 2011 5:04 AM in response to jsmandel

I am having the exact same problems, and they started yesterday. Just installed new OS and it did not fix the problem. Here's what crashes upon launch:

- Safari

- App Store

- Ipod (can get it to play music for one second, then it crashes)

- Mail (erased my settings, crashes after I input my information to set up an exchange account and hit "Next")

All other native apps work fine.

We are all having these problems within the last few days. Something is wrong.

Jun 2, 2011 1:42 PM in response to scottstephens1

I have the same problems

safari crashes after trying to search or load any page

youtube app crashes when opened

settings crashes when I try to delete cookies

I've done a hard reset and tried deleting cache, cookies and history. History will not delete, Safari will open, then go to the history which shows the same from two days ago, then crash. I've deleted the history in settings twice and it's still there. Cookies will not delete, crashes settings app.

I'm going to tr to update it today, but it doesn't look like that's working either.

Jun 2, 2011 1:56 PM in response to jjvanda

jjvanda - did they have any idea what's causing this? Or why it's also happening with other native apps? To me that seems like a lot of work to do just to have the problem creep back up. I've never seen settings crash before, that's just weird. I guess I could call them myself...

Thanks for the information, I'll try that this weekend when I have some time and a internet connection for my laptop.

Jun 2, 2011 2:01 PM in response to budhaj

he did not seem to have any idea about what's causing it and expressed some confusion when i told him that forums revealed a few people were having this problem at the same time. he said the culprit was obviously corrupted software but could not explain why it happened to some apps and not others. hence the hard restore. painful, but effective. sorry to not have more info.

Jun 3, 2011 2:29 PM in response to jjvanda

😟 The saga continues.

So far I have returned to factory settings and restored twice. I've updated all the apps. And still have the problem with youtube, safari and settings crashing, randomly, mostly when trying to open the apps from the homescreen, it they are opened through a secondary app they will usually remain stable as long as I don't try to search or view bookmarks, etc.

Now one of my apple learned friends thinks it could be an app clashing with these natives and that I should systematically delete apps till I find it? what? No. That's crazy. Even though half of my apps didn't come back for some reason after that restore, we're talking over 100. There's got to be a better answer. I'm going to try to call apple, see if they can come up with anything else. Also going to try to restore from a previous backup.

if ther super8 app is causing all of this, I'll have to speak to J.J.. It's the last thing I installed.

Jun 3, 2011 2:35 PM in response to budhaj

Try this, erase all settings and content, take the phone back to factory original condition. Activate it but DO NOT restore. See if it works. If it does, DO NOT restore from a backup. Re sync your apps and media from iTunes.

It sounds like something is corrupted and whatever it is is also corrupt in your backup. Restoring after returning to factory settings is breaking it again.

Jun 3, 2011 2:38 PM in response to KiltedTim

ah yes -- i should clarify that this is exactly what i did. my apologies for being unclear before. i did not restore; the advice of the applecare man was to unplug the phone from the computer before doing an actual restore to a certain set of settings. i did that, and the phone worked, so i proceeded to sync it with a restore from april. everything is working fine now.

Jun 12, 2011 2:35 PM in response to scottstephens1

I have the same problem, iphone 3GS keeps crashing mail, safari etc. I´ve tried restore from backup, but as it was said, there is possibly corrupted file in the system so the backup will be not effective. But I don´t want to restore the iphone to its factory settings because I DON´T want to loose any of my text messages, reminders and so on, they are realy important for me. So Apple should quickly start to find any solution because now, the iphone is totaly useless. I am sick of it, that I cant check my emails or use the browser... totaly sick..

Jun 14, 2011 9:13 PM in response to Saaw

I have exactly the same problem on my iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.3.3.

But I have iOS 4.3.3 since it came out a few weeks ago. My problem startet yesterday without any obvious event.

Now the symptomps are as follows - ideally you can confirm:

1. Youtube App: crashes immediately

2. Safari App: goes into bookmarks menu, then crashes immediately once I try to open a web page

3. iPod App: goes into playlist menu, then crashes immediately once I try to open a web page

4. App Store App: crashes immediately

5. ITunes App: crashes immediately

6. Mail App: behaves normal in Inbox View, but crashes mostly when trying to open an email

7. Settings>Safari>Clear Cookies: crashes immediately

8. Settings>App Store: crashes immediately

All other native Apple Apps and settings seem to work.

But in this status the iPhone is useless to me.

All attempts to reboot with and without clearing settings before failed. Maybe also because cookie clearing also doesn't work anymore.

Didn't yet restore, but this seems to not be successful either when I read other peoples comments. E.g. here and there (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3118537?answerId=15412172022#15412172022).

Need HELP!

Was so happy with the iPhone until yesterday...

PS: my personal fear is that Apple's changes in the background on e.g. the App Store functionality (like viewing and re-loading all previously purchased Apps) are causing this behaviour...

Jun 15, 2011 6:20 AM in response to dschloss

Hi guys. I've got the EXACT same problem as everyone. However, my backups on iTunes only go back to the day when the problem first started to happen. I'm fairly sure it automatically backed up before the problems started so not sure why they dissappeared. I've done all the restore stuff but still nothing. Anyone have a solution?

iPhone4 email safari crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.