4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 3:40 PM by CESNET
Dave Marsh Level 2 Level 2

I want to use a second Apple TV 2 in my bedroom with small speakers plugged directly into the optical port.  Do any such speakers exist?  I'll be using an old monitor with compatible HDMI for video, but the the display has no speakers built in.

2.8GHz 24" iMac w/4GB RAM/750GB HD, 1.8GHz MacBook Air/80GB HD, iPad 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6

I want to use a second Apple TV 2 in my bedroom with small speakers plugged directly into the optical port.  Do any such speakers exist?  I'll be using an old monitor with compatible HDMI for video, but the the display has no speakers built in.

Yes. I would think any optical input, powered speaker system with built-in DD5.1 decoder should work. However, my only personal experience is with the Logitech Z680. (Believe this unit has since been replaced by the Logitech Z5500 Surround Sound Speaker System.) Assume there are other makes and models available if you search around. The real question will likely be how much you wish to invest.

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6

Expensive but sumptuous sound > B&W Zeppelin/Zeppelin Air.

AC

• Dave Marsh Level 2 Level 2

Thanks for the replies.  I found a couple of excellent soundbars from Polk Audio, the 3000 IHT for ~$300 and the 6000 IHT for ~$450 (w/Dolby Digital decoding).  Best prices at Amazon, but Fry's Electronics carries them and now price matches legitimate Internet businesses.

• CESNET Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.appletv
    Apple TV

you can also give a try to the AVI 9.1 they are great although quite expensive. http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

regards