Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add words to the dictionary

How can I add words to the built-in spell check dictionary? I'm tired of having to correct the iPad's corrections for place names that I commonly use.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 30, 2011 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2017 12:32 PM

I Just can't understand how there is no such feature, also a manually activated check spelling where you quickly add/ignore/change all incidences.

Shame on you Apple, I think even WordPress for DOS had that

29 replies

Sep 10, 2011 12:41 AM in response to CampyOnlyGuy

I think you're both right, sorta. I know this is old but figured I'd throw in any way. Had the same issue, typing in a "name" dozens and dozens of times, even clearing it with the little x. But it was in a "user name" field. I went to the iPad's note pad app and typed in the same name, each time using the little x to cancel the auto correction. After about 7 or 8 times it started accepting the word. No more issues in various fields. So, wanna add a word to the auto correct "dictionary"? Do it in the note app :)

Oct 2, 2011 1:05 PM in response to JB900

Thank you! I have an unusual first name and it was always being autocorrected on my iPad. I tried the international dictionary option above and that didn't work. Someone else suggested repeatedly entering the word in the google bar in Safari and clicking the "x" to keep it from autocorrecting and "teach" iPad the word and that didn't work either. After entering the word only a few times in the notepad and correcting it, iPad finally learned my name! Yay! This is saving me so much irritation. Thanks so much for adding your tip!!!!!

Oct 6, 2011 8:40 PM in response to CampyOnlyGuy

Well, I can't get it to learn "jablts", which is my email handle (my initials and my hubbies' initials). Short of changing the email I have had for years, what do I do? Learn Chinese so I can add jablts seems a bit extreme. I typed "jablts" many, many times, and tried to click on the x, but it just ignored me when I continued to type it. Please, where's the dictionary? I'm a pretty good typist, but iPad 2 refuses to accept my email name, and it has already cause me to mess up two online orders. It's very frustrating.

Oct 6, 2011 9:40 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Yes, I did. Many, many times. I love the notepad--I use it quite frequently for my to-do lists for work. Clicking the little x didn't work--the "correct" [incorrect] word just disappears, but continues to suggest it as I continue to type it. I can type 90 wpm, so I typed "jablts" on a new line, the same line, and mixed it up throughout several notes, but nothing worked. Again. And again. And again. It keeps suggesting "jabots" to correct my email handle of "jablts". I tried to look up "jabots" in my iPad 2 dictionary, but of course, there is no iPad 2 dictionary, so I looked in my Webster's, copyright 1983, to discover that it has something to do with clothing from a very, very long time ago. So yes, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, many, many, many times to get my iPad to learn "jablts", but it insists I really mean "jabots", some lacy thing. I don't want to change my email, don't want to turn off autocorrect--I just want a dictionary that I know exists in other Apple products. On my two-year-old BlackBerry phone, I can just slick "add to dictionary"--is that command too difficult for Apple product developers to put on the iPad?

Oct 7, 2011 7:18 AM in response to jablts

Hi there jablts. I won't claim to know what's going on on the other side of the computer, but I just went to my notepad and did this...

Typed jablts (then clicked the x) hit the space bar and typed jablts (clicked the x) hit the space bar and typed jablts (you guessed it). After that I think it was still recommending a new word half way through jablts but once the whole word was typed out I was able to proceed with out having to go back and fix it. It may still have the "incorrect spelling" red underlining but it didn't force a change on me. If you're only looking to get rid of the red underlining then I have no idea on what to do.

Good luck.

Oct 7, 2011 9:38 AM in response to JB900

The fact that the red underlining persists means the dictionary will not accept new words, which means my problem continues until Apple adds an "add to dictionary" feature. When I type in my email for an internet purchase--the iPad will continue to change my email. Had I known 15 years ago when I picked my yahoo screen name, that Apple would refuse to recognize it in 2011, I absolutely would have picked something else. But this also explains why I have been seeing email signature lines like this: "sent from my iPad...please excuse typos, misspellings, and other errors which completely alter my intent."

How do I add words to the dictionary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.