Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal hotspot always disconnects

Not sure if anyone else has a problem with their iPad 2 constantly disconnecting from the iPhone 4 personal hotspot if left for any period of time, but is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Very annoying as you have to into settings every time to reconnect.

Thanks

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 31, 2011 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2017 10:02 PM

Same here. iPhone 7. No I don't think version matters. It's the fricking error and bug throughout the entire iOS's being existent in the world.

Omg yes this is a super huge bug.

You don't know when you're devices will be disconnected from the tethering.

I'm having an unlimited data plan (no speed limit whatsoever; it's ChungHwa telecom in Taiwan so this is the best) so I'm more than happy to have all my devices connected and tethered all day long.

You lose all the notifications and you won't know it because your iOS just sweetheartedly help you disconnect everything to save battery and data usage.

This is too bad. iOS should have created a button reading "always on" for users to choose.

This is bad.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2017 10:02 PM in response to Book Lailert

Same here. iPhone 7. No I don't think version matters. It's the fricking error and bug throughout the entire iOS's being existent in the world.

Omg yes this is a super huge bug.

You don't know when you're devices will be disconnected from the tethering.

I'm having an unlimited data plan (no speed limit whatsoever; it's ChungHwa telecom in Taiwan so this is the best) so I'm more than happy to have all my devices connected and tethered all day long.

You lose all the notifications and you won't know it because your iOS just sweetheartedly help you disconnect everything to save battery and data usage.

This is too bad. iOS should have created a button reading "always on" for users to choose.

This is bad.

Jul 18, 2011 10:49 PM in response to tkoe

I too have this issue. I jump from home to car to work, not necessarily in that order... Coming to work or home my iPad connects automatically to wifi, but even though I leave personal hotspot on, my iPad does not automatically connect rendering it a huge pain in the ***. If anyone has a solution "hint, hint" (APPLE) I'm sure we would greatly appreciate it.

Jul 21, 2011 7:13 AM in response to tkoe

I also get this all the time, very bloody annoying.

I notice it only happens while a program is using the connection and the iPad goes to sleep. It will stay connected all night if I press the home button before I put it to sleep or leave to sleep by itself.

I can't believe this is not a major issue for more people. any other wireless connection is not a problem, only the hotspot thru my iPhone. Both are running 4.2.2.

Jul 21, 2011 1:28 PM in response to tkoe

I'm going to post again, after further testing, under a different subject as I stubbled across something that SEEMS to have fixed my problem. Last night I was connected for 4.25 hrs now which is the longest by about 325%.

I read somewhere on here to turn the bluetooth off on the phone and surprise it may have worked, I will keep testing it to ensure it works but so far I've connected once for longer than the last 60 or so connections.

KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!!

today i have now been connected for nearly two hours, so maybe this is a temporary fix people can use.

-----------

the post above is a little old (so far the fix has worked 100%) but I am updating a post on here called if you'd like to look.

"Personal Hotspot on 4.3.3 VERY!!! unreliable garbage"

Oct 20, 2011 5:13 AM in response to Natal Vande Casteele

not very happy to say the least, its a extremely annoying bug and the only way i can find a work around is set the ipad autolock to never and turn bluetooth off.

The ipad doesnt lock and the connection doesnt drop. it seems to be an issue on the iphone side of things, because to get the connection back i have to unlock the phone, go into setting, and then personal hotspot. i dont actually have to turn it on or off, i just have go to that setting section and ipad with sync again.

seems to be that something is not being allowed to run once the iphone and ipad autolock while the ipad is using the connection.

like i said before, if i press the home button on the ipad before i leave it, the connection will stay up all night. it only drops once i have a program open that uses the connection and the ipad autolocks.

i used to bag microsoft out for little bugs like this, and here i am on the side of the fence that was supposed to greener wondering if i upgrade my phone and ipad again or wait for windows 8

Oct 20, 2011 1:08 PM in response to Natal Vande Casteele

I am pleased to see that I am not the only one that has this problem, Natal. A few months ago I found a discussion in here that suggested turning Bluetooth off and I had some success.

I even found that when I am connected to my router having Bt off allowed me to faultlessly play wordfu (multi-player using my iphone4 and an ipod4) but with it on the iPhone disconnects with 2 minutes.

I have reported the bug and started another discussion but no one has replied, here it is

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3201638. I even put it on whirlpool but lost interest when there was no productive replies. You should find it by searching for the same text I used to name the apple discussion the link above takes you to.

To everyone else REPORT, REPORT, REPORT. This should not be still happening in IOS5, considering the problems people have had with Apples wireless comms.

Oct 12, 2012 1:02 PM in response to tkoe

All,

Same problem: iPHone 4 personal hotspot to iPad2 via WiFi disconnects frequently, then the iPhone 4 network doesn't show up in my networks list when I try to reconnect. I then have to turn personal hotspot (on my iphone) off then back on to see the network as an option. Very frustrating. iPad stays connected to other WiFi networks, so I suspect an issue with the phone. I have had bluetooth off on the phone for some time - still occurs.

Help?

Oct 27, 2013 12:59 PM in response to tkoe

I have all the same issues as above with my new iphone 5c. My last phone, a first gen HTC Desire would run my ipad and laptop at same time from the other end of the house and never crashed. This must mean that its the iphone thats faulty. Im not impressed as my internet connection keeps crashing.

Ive paid for a premium brand, so there is no excuse Apple!!! Fix It..

Mar 3, 2014 4:44 PM in response to squonk

I have finally found a solution that works for me.

To use my iphone (4s) as a hotspot and connect to my ipad (3) :

ipad settings: Cell Data OFF Wifi OFF Bluetooth ON.

iphone settings: Cell Data ON. Bluetooth ON. Personal hotspot ON. Wifi OFF (in that order)

I can connect the ipad to the iphone's hotspot using bluetooth and it works with no interruptions.

I am able to close down all apps on my iphone (including settings) and turn off the screen. The hotspot keeps broadcasting a signal.

A bit of a pain, but it works every time for me and has never disconnected.

Too bad Apple can't seem to come up with a fix!!

Mar 11, 2015 11:50 AM in response to tkoe

I have an iPhone5 and an iPad2. When I create a hotspot on my iPhone, I temporarily change the Auto-Lock setting to "Never" on both the iPhone and the iPad (Settings/General/Auto-Lock). As long as the two devices remain in the same vicinity the connection doesn't get broken. Once the iPhone is moved away from the iPad, however, I need to reconnect.

FYI, I always have Bluetooth turned "Off" on both devices. I'm not sure if using Bluetooth would impact what I've described here.

Personal hotspot always disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.