Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4, no sound only on phone calls!! HELP!!

Hi!... My iPhone 4 is working fine, speakers, mic, sensor, camera, etc... is ok... when I make a call in skype everything is fine, i can hear everything and they can hear me just perfect, even in a videocall with speaker or headphones it's ok... But the problem is when I'm making or receiving a phone call, I can't hear and they can't hear me. speaker, mic, everything is working fine in apps, iTunes... record normal video, music and video playback with normal audio, using headphones, speaker or Bluetooth is ok in apps and iTunes... the problem is only with phone calls, phone audio is not working... incoming call phone rings perfect, outgoing call going well until the call is answered, no audio during phone calls, sending sms, Internet, wifi, everything is ok but there is not audio during calls... Please any advice? some help please!!... Already reset all content and settings, latest version of iOS 4.3.3, phone is restored but the problem remains!!!... HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 31, 2011 12:28 PM

19 replies

Jul 4, 2011 6:35 PM in response to edmundona

I took the phone into the Apple store and they said it was an AT&T problem and that I needed to have the SIM card replaced. I did that and still had the problem. So I went back to the Apple store. The pretencious 'genious' said that one of the moisture sensors had been tripped and that was why my microphone wasn't working on calls. The phone has never been exposed to moisture that I'm aware of.

He said dictation apps use another microphone on top of the phone. He didn't have an answer as to why the problem only happened sporatically. In any case, he eventually gave me a replacement phone.

Aug 29, 2011 1:48 PM in response to edmundona

I had the exact issue on two of my iPhones. I had one replaced in warranty in Feb 2011, that replacement went bad in the last week (Aug 2011) - It is now out-of warranty.

All audio, input and output (mic and speaker) on any combo refused to work in the Phone app. Bluetooth headset, speaker, ear speaker, wired headset all had no audio... Initially, when recording video, it would record static. then i replaced the top mic, and audio would record again in the default camera app. It was then just on the phone app that didn't work. Recording audio, Skype, ipod, and all other audio apps worked even before I replaced the top mic.

I then replaced the bottom mic's (both via iFixit's instructions) since it was out of warranty, and the problem was still there in the phone app, but everything else worked, even recording audio in the Camera App... So, what I suspect is some component in the audio interface on the main logic board was borked... It may have occured when the top mic went out, popped a cap, fried a resistor, or blown an IC on the main board.

I ended up using a 'cross-upgrade' via AT&T to get a new phone, my wife had an unused upgrade. So now I have a working iphone - and I purchased the 2 year Apple care contract... And now my kids have a new an ipod touch...

Lesson of the story - get the Apple care coverage before your 1 year coverage runs out!

Sep 7, 2011 8:39 AM in response to edmundona

I had the same issue - no sound on phone apps, other apps works well even skype, voice recording, etc. What I suspect is bug in phone apps. There is no help available except from replacing a phone from apple store. And if you are like me, out of warranty, then you have to pay for a hefty price which I personally think it not worth it, my phone looks so new! My thought is that a phone should at least last for 2 year before you change a new phone. Anything less than 2 year is not a quality phone.

I also not sure why we are writing here, since there is no Apple personnel in helping us. Perhaps this place is for us to vent our fraustration?

Sep 8, 2011 12:13 AM in response to spigel

Ya, you are right! They forgot about the users. They need to slow down their pace and listen if they want to carry on their business. For sure I know, you sold ur phone. But not sure you still using iphone? For me, I am contemplating to mirgrate to Android phone. And if i do that, I will make sure the next phone company provide repair service.

iPhone 4, no sound only on phone calls!! HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.