Skip navigation

iTunes Streamng Buffer Size

2773 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 3:21 AM by dennisgroves RSS
Ralphjh Level 2 Level 2 (205 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 31, 2011 4:44 PM

Is there a way to use Applescript to force iTunes to buffer a specific time, in seconds, prior to playing an internet radio stream?

17" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 3G
  • Camelot Level 8 Level 8 (45,670 points)
    May 31, 2011 5:04 PM (in response to Ralphjh)

No. The buffer is tuned dynamically based on current bandwidth speeds and the length of the track being played, such that the last bits of the file are downloaded just as they're needed to be played. Buffering a specific time period doesn't make sense if your bandwidth isn't up to the task (e.g. if you force a buffer of, say, 10 seconds but it takes 20 seconds to download that much data then you'll find your playback keeps stuttering as you playback all that's in your buffer and you have to wait for it to fill again).

In the case of continuous audio such as an internet radio station, it tries to buffers enough data to ensure that your playback isn't stuttering but you can't predict or control how much this should be.

• asterisco Calculating status...
    Oct 13, 2011 5:27 PM (in response to Ralphjh)

The new version of iTunes dont have this option > http://www.apple.com/itunes/how-to/index.html#tips-buffersizes

I need a bigger buffer Size, how can I change it?

Anybody?

• thomasfromnorthport Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Oct 18, 2011 8:21 AM (in response to Ralphjh)

Hi asterisco:

the instructions given to me in this chat series really did not change a thing. Video clips are just about impossible to watch.

• asterisco Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Oct 20, 2011 6:26 AM (in response to thomasfromnorthport)

thomas, thanks for you reply.

• dennisgroves Calculating status...
    Nov 5, 2011 3:21 AM (in response to Camelot)

Unfortunately this is a complete fail for me. I have 7Mbps download - video is fine. But not radio in iTunes. I am limited to 48kbs streams (and it still rebuffers) otherwise it is constantly rebuffering making listening all but impossible. I don't have this problem with competining producs like Radium for example, nor with video. It is only when I use iTunes as a radio (which is the only reason I use it).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.